Eternal Lands

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Have you ever played EL?

yes.
14%
no.
63%
no,but i heard about it.
23%

Total votes: 43

Nicolas

Eternal Lands

Post by Nicolas »

A free 3D MMORPG.
I'm playng it in this times,the site is:
http://www.eternal-lands.com
I like very much that game,and if you are subscribetd to that game and you want
to meet me my nickname is: Granknight.
(yes,you can download it free,but they're going to make a payment version too)
(the free one won't be removed).
Great Mage Nicolas
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

i see 2 play it:could i know who are they and with what nickname?
Great Mage Nicolas
breversa

Post by breversa »

breversa, of course. :)
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Looked interesting, I might check it out later on in the dev process, however, I already have one MMO, and am not super interested in getting another.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Roots

Post by Roots »

I played it for about an hour 3 weeks ago. It was impressive that an indie team put that altogether, but I can't say I was really fanatical about the game. I couldn't even figure out how to heal my character, and I didn't feel like spending 3 hours talking to the tutorial NPC. Lately it has been very difficult to get myself to continue playing a game if I'm not enjoying it within about the first 30-60 minutes of play. :(
Hero of Allacrost, a 2D open source RPG. Check it out at http://www.allacrost.org.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

If you pm and say youre from wesnoth i'll upgrade you by giving items
(for healing,wait or wait being healed by drinking a healing potion or someone casts a spell on you.I can do it so if you find me i will heal you)
My username there is Granknight
(not grandnight,Granknight)
To pm me you need to do:
/Granknight <message>
Free stuff like weapons and essences for wesnoth users if you pm me!
Say your names and i can find you when i play EL players :)
Great Mage Nicolas
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Roots:if it can make you changing idea,tell me your username and i''l try to find you,
i am going to give an armor set.
I also need money,so if you can try to give me something,because an armor set is about 300 gp. and i have only aroud 4000 gp.
Great Mage Nicolas
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

romanjiin which is your mmorpg and which is the website?
Great Mage Nicolas
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Nicolas wrote:Roots:if it can make you changing idea,tell me your username and i''l try to find you,
i am going to give an armor set.
I also need money,so if you can try to give me something,because an armor set is about 300 gp. and i have only aroud 4000 gp.
Now only 100 :-)
Great Mage Nicolas
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Nicolas wrote:romanjiin which is your mmorpg and which is the website?
I play WoW
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com
If you don't mind paying a fairly steep fee it's a great game(13-15 bucks a month).
Sorry for the meaningless post
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

You cannot ride a roller coaster if you are under 4 feet tall unless you are older than 16 years old.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

NightBlade wrote:http://www.devmaster.net/articles/mmorp ... /part1.php

You might want to check this out.
Or not. What a waste of 20 minutes of my time.

"I left EL development then rejoined." by the original EL author.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

charlieg wrote:
NightBlade wrote:http://www.devmaster.net/articles/mmorp ... /part1.php

You might want to check this out.
Or not. What a waste of 20 minutes of my time.

"I left EL development then rejoined." by the original EL author.
Well it had one good quote:
EL author wrote: While a map editor and a 3D engine is enough for a single player game, you need a little more than that for a MMORPG
This is very true. Which begs the question: why do so many people decide they are going to try to write an epic MMORPG, when they haven't even made a decent single player game?

It's just a ridiculous goal. It's like trying to build an office block when you, and no-one on your team has even built a house. (And the magnitude of this comparison is about right: building a MMORPG is at least as hard as building an office block).

Even making a good single player RPG is hard. In fact, there is no decent, mature, Open Source single player RPG which uses modern graphics technology, to my knowledge.

If you can make a huge MMORPG in five years, then you can definitely make a 'simple' game -- say something of the complexity of Wesnoth -- in maybe six months (probably with a little less polish and a few fewer features, but the game concept would be the same), so do it: make a decent game. Then you will at least have some experience to embark on your MMORPG. If you can't make the simple game, well, you've just saved five years of your time working out that you couldn't do something.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

Or not. What a waste of 20 minutes of my time
Well, that post was intended for Nicolas, since he's into EL. Wesnoth is a pretty cool game, its probably the best open source TBS out there and I think its more fun than most MMORPG you can get in the long run.
You cannot ride a roller coaster if you are under 4 feet tall unless you are older than 16 years old.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Dave wrote:This is very true. Which begs the question: why do so many people decide they are going to try to write an epic MMORPG, when they haven't even made a decent single player game?
Short answer, IMO: Because it doesn't look that hard. Compared to designing a singleplayer game that requires a storyline and careful level balancing, it may even seem easier: Put together a simple engine and the players add all the action.

Of course, it doesn't work that way, but on the surface, a MMORPG looks deceptively simple to the novice programmer.

P.S. I think your analogy is exactly the right one: An office block looks simpler to build than a house; it's just a big rectangle filled with identical cubicles. You don't have to figure out an optimal room layout; heck, you don't even put a proper roof on the thing like you would a house! Of course once you start dealing with plumbing and air conditioning, gravitational stresses and wind shear, you'll rethink that position; it's not just a bigger, simpler house...