Good reading about professional art direction

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BTIsaac

Re: Good reading about professional art direction

Post by BTIsaac »

So I took a guess as to what that article is about, skimmed through it and it looks like I was right. I can tell the person has issues when she takes two perfectly fine pictures and starts complaining about the cleavage, that most normal people wouldn't even have noticed if she didn't draw attention to it.
Wussel wrote: April 28th, 2018, 3:52 pmThe author, Anna Kreider, describes herself as "not a bridge builder".
Well, at least she admits it.
Sapient wrote: April 28th, 2018, 5:49 pmWesnoth has visibly gone against some fantasy tropes to push the boundaries of inclusiveness, even making some pretty unpopular choices. Consider UtBS dark skinned elves who aren't from an evil race...
There is something fundamentally wrong with that quote but I can't put my finger on it.
...Noy's Muslim-inspired faction
You mean persian/middle eastern inspired? Middle eastern civilizations predate Islam.

Kasdel wrote:The fact that there aren't many female warriors in most factions points to a deep-rooted sexism in Wesnothian societies.
It also points to a million things that aren't related to sexism. Just saying.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

BTIsaac wrote: June 11th, 2018, 7:32 am There is something fundamentally wrong with that quote but I can't put my finger on it.
I guess my comment would sound pretty outrageous if you ignore the fact that evil race of darker-colored elves is a well-known fantasy trope, a.k.a. Drow. Some people may find that trope offensive, but my comment was meant to be understood in that context and is not, in itself, offensive... unless of course you take it out of that context.
BTIsaac wrote: June 11th, 2018, 7:32 am You mean persian/middle eastern inspired? Middle eastern civilizations predate Islam.
No? Noy said, "I wanted something that had the tradition of the Hamzanama, and other great works in Islamic mythology/storytelling." Source: viewtopic.php?p=566696#p566696
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Sapient wrote: June 11th, 2018, 8:15 amI guess my comment would sound pretty outrageous if you ignore the fact that evil race of darker-colored elves is a well-known fantasy trope, a.k.a. Drow.
I mean the implication was that dark skinned fantasy races that aren't evil is "unpopular" or the idea would be unwelcome in some way, which sounds disingenuous. In fact, dark skinned elves that aren't evil isn't exactly a new idea, and I don't even mean in the "token good drow" sense. Drowtales has been a mildly popular comic long before the idea of the quenoth elves was even considered.
No? Noy said, "I wanted something that had the tradition of the Hamzanama, and other great works in Islamic mythology/storytelling."
Those works are definetley inspired by islamic lore but they are the products of a culture that is much older. But I digress.