A cross-post comparing wesnoth and other writing communities

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

MathBrush

A cross-post comparing wesnoth and other writing communities

Post by MathBrush » March 4th, 2018, 7:50 am

At intfiction.org, I wrote a blog post that compares my experience writing for Wesnoth with other writing communities.

https://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewto ... 22&t=25915
Last edited by MathBrush on March 26th, 2018, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

adramolokh

Re: A cross-post comparing wesnoth and other writing communities

Post by adramolokh » March 4th, 2018, 7:02 pm

MathBrush wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 7:50 am
At intfiction.org, I wrote a blog post that compares my experience writing for Wesnoth with other writing communities.

https://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewto ... 9f2b190453
Funnily enough, my favourite Wesnoth campaigns, and the only ones that I've been able to get through, are the ones that lean further towards originality, though I haven't seen anything that isn't earnest. I've been looking to create something more self-aware and less earnest for a while, something somewhat contrary to the norms.

There's a definite note to be taken about the providence of the tester-editor category. Most of your players will never contact you to talk about your campaign, therefore the amount of feedback is very limited. The only campaigns I've seen with significant amount of feedbacks are those which are massive and demand mechanical questions, those that are particularly buggy, and those that are intricate lorewise and again demand that people ask questions to completely understand the story.

gnombat

Post by gnombat » March 5th, 2018, 3:44 am

"Remember, some cliches are cliches because they work."
- Eric S. Raymond, Battle for Wesnoth Campaign Design How-To

Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food » March 26th, 2018, 2:17 am

Horrible writing gets mocked to scorn in an effort to drive away new authors.
(in robot voice) Clarification required!

Did you mean that their purpose is to drive away new authors, and so they scorn whatever gives them acceptable opportunity, or that they would rather not allow new authors if the new author has no prerequisite appeal? You place them on the “originality” end of your canonicity–originality grade, so I would suppose the latter.
However, one could split Content and Style, and figure that they are leaning towards Canonicity when it comes to Style — and that any who do not conform are unwanted.

If all that was the NoSleep Reddit group, then you should probably mention that nearer the beginning of the short essay.

MathBrush

Post by MathBrush » March 26th, 2018, 4:24 am

I was referring only to NoSleep. And what I meant was, horrible writing is mocked to drive away 'horrible' new authors, not all new authors! You're right, that's an important distinction.

As to conformity, you're right that content and style could be split, in which case NoSleep does in fact lean more towards canonicity in style.