Widelands

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Widelands

Postby GunChleoc » November 12th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Seems like this is RTS games release week - 0 A.D, Wesnoth, and now Widelands as well. We have just released Build 19 :)

ImageImageImageImage

Widelands is a free, open source real-time buildup strategy game with single player campaigns and a multiplayer mode. The game was inspired by Settlers II™ (© Bluebyte) but has significantly more variety and depth to it.

You are the regent of a small clan. Your task is to build an ever growing settlement. Every member of your clan will do his or her part to produce more resources to further this growth.

Widelands offers a single-player mode with campaigns that tell stories of the tribes and their struggle in the Widelands universe. However, settling really starts when you unite with friends over the Internet or LAN to build up new empires together – or to crush each other in the dusts of war. Widelands also offers an artificial intelligence to challenge you.

Homepage - Trailer
GunChleoc
Translator

Re: Widelands

Postby pyndragon » November 16th, 2016, 2:44 am

It's been so long since I've played Widelands. Congrats on your new role and the big release!
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
pyndragon
Forum Regular

Postby GunChleoc » November 16th, 2016, 9:13 am

GunChleoc
Translator

Postby Midnight_Carnival » November 16th, 2016, 12:18 pm

I used to play Widelands a few years back, it didn't have most of the animations back then and I think that the Atlanteans didn't exist.
These days not only does it have all the animations but all the races look totally different (in settlers only the soldiers looked different).
Not only does it look pretty but it is interesting to play, the Barbarians, Empire and Atlanteans do things in different ways. I put this one up there with Wesnoth and Shovel Knight and fully endorse it without reservation.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Midnight_Carnival

Return to Game Development