Question about Battle for Wesnoth art use

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JesusIsAlive

Question about Battle for Wesnoth art use

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Hello!
Please let me ask a question about Wesnoth licensing.
I have an android game that is currently under development which uses a lot of Battle for Wesnoth images. The game is a strategy RPG with auto combat and a text adventure mode. The game mechanics and the story have nothing to do with Battle for Wesnoth. I think this is okay as the art is free to use. But I am not sure about commercial use. I would like to get money for this game because I worked a lot on it and I would like to do game development at full time later so I need the money :) (I already worked on this for more than a year)
I am considering accepting donations, in-game micro-transactions and/or making this game non-free. So please help me and let me know what is legally okay and what is not allowed. I am a game developer not a lawyer. :)
And of course I have to say big thanks to all who created the art because I see you did a great job :)
If I will have the game ready I will give Wesnoth full credit and the authors for everything.

Best regards,
Béla
Andrettin

Re: Question about Battle for Wesnoth art use

Post by Andrettin »

JesusIsAlive wrote:Hello!
Please let me ask a question about Wesnoth licensing.
I have an android game that is currently under development which uses a lot of Battle for Wesnoth images. The game is a strategy RPG with auto combat and a text adventure mode. The game mechanics and the story have nothing to do with Battle for Wesnoth. I think this is okay as the art is free to use. But I am not sure about commercial use. I would like to get money for this game because I worked a lot on it and I would like to do game development at full time later so I need the money :) (I already worked on this for more than a year)
I am considering accepting donations, in-game micro-transactions and/or making this game non-free. So please help me and let me know what is legally okay and what is not allowed. I am a game developer not a lawyer. :)
And of course I have to say big thanks to all who created the art because I see you did a great job :)
If I will have the game ready I will give Wesnoth full credit and the authors for everything.

Best regards,
Béla
Commercial use is ok, as long as you abide to the terms of the GPLv2 license. Namely, any art you create that is derivative of Wesnoth's art also has to be licensed under the GPLv2.
JesusIsAlive

Re: Question about Battle for Wesnoth art use

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Thank you very much for the answer. :) That's good to know and also I thought it is best to clarify this on this forum before I start doing anything.