My friends project

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

martenzo

My friends project

Post by martenzo »

A friend of mine is making his own game. He wanted to ask if it's okay (or at least legal) to use WML as the code for his game. He told me that the game is going to be a turn based, modern warfare strategy game. I didn't know where else to put this thread.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: My friends project

Post by turin »

martenzo wrote:A friend of mine is making his own game. He wanted to ask if it's okay (or at least legal) to use WML as the code for his game. He told me that the game is going to be a turn based, modern warfare strategy game. I didn't know where else to put this thread.
Only if he releases the rest of the code under the GPL. At least i'm pretty sure about that requirement. (i'll have to read GPL again, though).

But if he does, and gives credit to wesnoth, no one here will be mad. They'll probably be happy. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, if you just mean the WML file standard :lol: then there should be no problems whatsoever. If he uses the WML parsing code from wesnoth, then he will need to follow the GPL...
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Thanks. I'll tell it to him. By the way, he was gonna release it under GPL anyway. I'll put an attachment in here as soon as he gives me the first version. Oh yeah forgot, he told me that he's going to make campaigns about real historical events (like WWII, Vietnam, Cold War, Iraq and so on)
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.