For those of you who've been wondering...

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

A change to the proportions of the view has mostly fixed the problem. Maybe it had to do with rounding error? I'll check that out.

And here's a screenshot. It might be misleading, because the laser beams are animated in a way which is impossible to show.
Attachments
Laser Screenshot.png
Laser Screenshot.png (11.48 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

Thanks the the GIMP, I now have a better Rock image.

They spin, too!
Attachments
Screenshot again.png
Screenshot again.png (21 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

Now there are two rock images, and each rock usees a random one.

I plan on 3 or 4, or more if I don't get tired of making them.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

The dastard look resembles the old rocks style, you should (try to) do something about it if you want.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Did you sort out the memory leaks?

You are aware that there are cocoa development tools for tracking release / auto release problems and memory leaks aren't you?
Elvish_Pillager

martenzo wrote:The dastard look resembles the old rocks style, you should (try to) do something about it if you want.
Well, I like it. I don't plan on doing anything about it until it's the only image of its quality left, and I still have the Magnetite, more rocks, and probably new turrets to do first.
Sithrandel wrote:Did you sort out the memory leaks?

You are aware that there are cocoa development tools for tracking release / auto release problems and memory leaks aren't you?
Yes, they don't show me anything useful that I've found. I think it isn't a leak, because I was certainly releasing all the sounds. I even released some I shouldn't have. When the sounds with the weird mechanism were removed, there were no problems.

Basically, I don't know why it was happening, but I now have all ths sounds using the bad mechanism, where one sound can't be played concurrently with itself. That mechanism doesn't have problems. I don't know how I'd make them work right.

Minor status update: The third rock image is in place. It makes the rocks not seem so similar. I'll still do one or two more, probably.

But first, the Magnetite. Anyone have any ideas what it should look like?
Theotherone

Post by Theotherone »

I like the idea of the magnetite being like the normal rocks, except differently coloured, so that it's more metallic. Sort of bronzeish.

Also, I like the idea of "dark asteriods". They're like the normal ones, except they're pitch black when they appear at the top of the screen, and as they fall towards you they become normal-coloured. And of course, possibly Dark Magnetite and Dark Rocket Launchers and such.
-
---
-----
-------
-----
---
-
Elvish_Pillager

Theotherone wrote:I like the idea of the magnetite being like the normal rocks, except differently coloured, so that it's more metallic. Sort of bronzeish.
Nice idea. I went and made copies of all my rocks, and made them metallic and bronzeish, and they're cool looking.
Theotherone wrote:Also, I like the idea of "dark asteriods". They're like the normal ones, except they're pitch black when they appear at the top of the screen, and as they fall towards you they become normal-coloured.
Er... yyyuck. I don't like invisible stuff.