Wesnoth 3D

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Implementor37

Re: Wesnoth 3D

Post by Implementor37 »

I think its rather odd that a free game requires an NSA backdoor... :o Like we all are going to plan massive US tax fraud through in-game chats :whistle: But seriously, do they really expect to find anything, or are they just trying to make our lives miserable? :hmm: I highly doubt that there is actually anything in that library which Dugi used to program it--maybe he could simply remove the offending line which imports that dependancy?
Author of End of the Legion, available now on the 1.12 and 1.13 servers!
Supporter of the addition of the Aragwaithi into mainline.
Naron

Post by Naron »

So, this announcement is a hoax? Too bad, because I dream about a 3D Wesnoth. :(
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

The last time I've mentioned at freegamedev.net that Wesnoth would win from some 3d elements (like Heroes IV, Settlers 2 or Age of Wonders 2), it enraged everyone there and I got ban threats from moderators for being "troll" and "nitwit" ( http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6500 ). FOSS people for some reason really dislike good looking games.

IIRC, author of Wesnoth himself attempted a 3d remake (Silver Tree RPG), but due to little resources and not using premade game engine the result looked horrible.

Although the screenshots in the OP post here are no less horrible, but some 3d terrain shading like Age of Wonders 2 would be cool.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I've been avoiding this thread becasue I don't want to appear to be randomly picking fights.

:augh: I'll try to phrase this as diplomatically as possible.
I personally don't think Wesnoth should be 3D becasue I think it doesn't add anything to the game.
I've read a lot on this thread about how cool 3D would look, but not much about how it would change gameplay.
Would ranged units or units with the charge special gain a bonus from attacking units lower down than themselves? would castles on hills give a higher defensive rating?
Is considering the 3D game mechanics starting to make anyone else thing that it would be a lot more complicated and not neccesarrily more fun to play?

As for making it simply look 3D:
Does Wesnoth really need to look like something everybody else is making?
Well done pixel art is timeless, Simon the Sorcerer actually has quite crap graphics but the artwork is still great - the artists managed to capture character and add so many funny little details like faces in trees, etc.
3D graphics puts a date and time stamp on any project, I'm sure that when Alone in the Dark came out there were people who <censored> in their pants becasue of the "mindblowing 3D graphics" I'm old enough to remember how "realistic" Mortal Kombat was considered, but these days the games mentioned look crap and people "can't bear to play them becasue of the lousy 3D graphics".
However advanced your rendering, your 3D graphics are destined to be seen the same way.
Contributor made 3D graphics games seldom get very far becasue they don't often look that good, there are some exceptions but not many.

Finally, I can run even later versions of Wesnoth on older computers (although they take ages to do anything) I don't think Wesnoth should require a 3D graphics card and however much ram to play.

I take it you are not talking about simply imposing 3D graphics onto existing Wesnoth but making a new game Wesnoth 3D. I'd be intersted to see this game if it came out and would go crazy if it had Dugi's 3D lv 4 ghoul thing, that would be one of the best things which happened to me. Please consider the things I have said when making the new game though. I could put turbocharge/nitro on my mountain bike but it won't help me much.
-ok, not attacking anyone's ideas here, just stating my opinions.
thanks, bye.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:I take it you are not talking about simply imposing 3D graphics onto existing Wesnoth but making a new game Wesnoth 3D. I'd be intersted to see this game if it came out and would go crazy if it had Dugi's 3D lv 4 ghoul thing, that would be one of the best things which happened to me. Please consider the things I have said when making the new game though. I could put turbocharge/nitro on my mountain bike but it won't help me much.
-ok, not attacking anyone's ideas here, just stating my opinions.
thanks, bye.
Actually, you can modify Wesnoth to have some 3D features, like terrain shading and/or hex stacking (a-la final fantasy tactics). Then again, transition to real 3D egnine, would require rewriting only visual part, that puts stuff on screen. It would also push engine refactoring into client-server architecture, so there can be both 2d and 3d clients, while people can host Wesnoth on some server.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

From what I can see its an amazing and ambitious project (as any dugi project ;) ). But unfortunately graphics are not top notch and you should work on that.

What I don't understand is the comments of some people which proably may believe that a graphic like in GTA 5 can be done by a single person. These people know nothing about game developement and have never coded a single line of source code and they just lack respect for real work.

But seriously, dugi if you really are interested in 3D game development you should really consider to look into Unity 5.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have looked at Unity, but there is the problem that it isn't open source and offers only a limited free version (the fee for the full version is too high for a single person). Ogre is fine, its performance is not much behind, the graphics could be much better if I had better artistic skills. The screenshots are lame partially because for some reasons Ogre's screenshots are low res and horribly compressed, in reality it looks better.

By the way, have you checked the date of the original post?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Nah - Alas! Dates are mere details for an amazing person such as myself. But fun aside, i just wanted to say hello ;).
There is not much traffic on this forums, these days?
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

What about the Unreal Engine 4? It's full featured and, as long as you don't sell the game, fully free as far as I know.
Furthermore it has a fearure calls "blueprints" which makes the programming part a lot easier.

I'd be very interested in a 3D Version of Wesnoth!
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Do you seriously think that I would not check the possibilities before starting?

Unreal was made primarily for first person shooters, isn't open source so I can't check its source code if some specifications are unclear, it's mostly built around scripting (and coding in C++ instead of its own programming language is quite a recent feature) and its content is built around a level editor (which means that I would have to construct maps by hand rather than using assistance from software and write the blueprints' source code with it - which is okay for FPS games full of scripted cutscenes, but not quite so for strategy games).

I see Ogre3D as a better option because it's open source, the most recent version has similar performance than other popular engines and mainly, allows much more control over what's going on. It allows incorporating a functionality similar to wesnoth's map construction from preset blocks using transitions quite easily. It also allows to construct characters from body, gear and weapons quite easily too. The graphics on the pictures look suboptimal mainly because I am not a great artist.