My latest project -- a digital collectible card game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

My latest project -- a digital collectible card game

Post by Dave »

I've been working away for some time on a new project: a digital Collectible Card Game called Argentum Age. It's a game which mixes tactical battle with a deck of cards that represents creatures and spells you can cast.

I am at a stage where I would love to get a few more people to look at it, try it out, and give me feedback on what you like or don't like about it. I would love it to end up as a community-driven project, like Wesnoth is, and as such would also love to find help from people enthusiastic about things like designing cards, balancing our games like this, making up campaigns, and so on. This is a great opportunity for anyone who loves Wesnoth to get in on the ground level with me on a new project. Message me if you are interested or with any feedback!

You can download Argentum Age for Windows, OSX, and Linux from our web site: http://www.argentumage.com
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Andrettin

Re: My latest project -- a digital collectible card game

Post by Andrettin »

Looks nice :) Trying it out right now. By the way, I would add an "Exit Game" (or something similar) button in the main menu. I tried to get out of the game, but couldn't find a button to do so, until I pressed ESC.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

This binary does not offer to download to different folder.

This binary does not allow to not use start menu folder.

Chrome flags it malicious just like with 1.12 wesnoth here months ago.

Game seems nice, but change avatar could show all choices instead of one way cycle. Also, where to turn sounds off?

Creating large deck required increasing window size in order to see done button.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Ravana wrote:This binary does not offer to download to different folder.

This binary does not allow to not use start menu folder.
We do plan to fix these things with a new installer, it's on our list!
Ravana wrote: Chrome flags it malicious just like with 1.12 wesnoth here months ago.
Yeah, sadly this will probably happen for a while until we become credible enough for it not to :(

Ravana wrote: Game seems nice, but change avatar could show all choices instead of one way cycle. Also, where to turn sounds off?

Creating large deck required increasing window size in order to see done button.
[/quote]

Good points! You can turn sounds off by pressing escape, which will bring up a menu where you take the sounds slider to zero. We should probably move this into the main settings area though!

I have made a selection box for changing the avatar. I've also made it so when you create a deck too large to fit on the screen it handles it more elegantly.

These changes are now live, all you need to do is start the game and it should update it automatically and you'll see them.

Thank you for trying the game and for your feedback! Please leave any further feedback you might have!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Andrettin wrote:Looks nice :) Trying it out right now. By the way, I would add an "Exit Game" (or something similar) button in the main menu. I tried to get out of the game, but couldn't find a button to do so, until I pressed ESC.
Well this is an interesting point. On your system doesn't it open in a window by default and doesn't just pressing the normal Windows 'X' for the window close it?

Thanks for trying the game! Would love to hear any further feedback you have.

David
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Dave wrote:
Andrettin wrote:Looks nice :) Trying it out right now. By the way, I would add an "Exit Game" (or something similar) button in the main menu. I tried to get out of the game, but couldn't find a button to do so, until I pressed ESC.
Well this is an interesting point. On your system doesn't it open in a window by default and doesn't just pressing the normal Windows 'X' for the window close it?
It does, but I sort of expected there to also be a button on the main screen. I
Thanks for trying the game! Would love to hear any further feedback you have.

David
I have completed the tutorial, and up to the second mission of the forest. I quite like the way the game plays. It is vaguely reminiscent of Magic, while still feeling very fresh. I specially like that the mana maximum increases constantly every turn, instead of depending on drawing a card that enhanced mana production (which in Magic could be quite a pain, with players sometimes drawing only "land" cards, or almost none).

I would enjoy if I could see how the cards on the field look by hovering them, or something of the sort (sorry if that's present but I missed it). I don't have much chance to see how exactly the opponent's card looks like, being limited to seeing the reduced graphic on the map.

The string on the world map still says "Citadel", rather than "Argentum Age" (although to be honest I like the former a bit better).

If I think of something else to comment on, I'll make another post later :)

By the way, will the player's progress during this test phase be maintained after the game is released, or will it be wiped out?
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Cool game, keep working on it. 8)
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Andrettin wrote: I have completed the tutorial, and up to the second mission of the forest. I quite like the way the game plays. It is vaguely reminiscent of Magic, while still feeling very fresh. I specially like that the mana maximum increases constantly every turn, instead of depending on drawing a card that enhanced mana production (which in Magic could be quite a pain, with players sometimes drawing only "land" cards, or almost none).
It is meant to be familiar to people who have played CCG's before but with enough fresh and new to offer a great new experience, so I'm glad you find it like that. :)
Andrettin wrote: I would enjoy if I could see how the cards on the field look by hovering them, or something of the sort (sorry if that's present but I missed it). I don't have much chance to see how exactly the opponent's card looks like, being limited to seeing the reduced graphic on the map.
This is a great suggestion. I've implemented it so if you play now you should see the card if you mouse over the creature. It looks like this:

Andrettin wrote: The string on the world map still says "Citadel", rather than "Argentum Age" (although to be honest I like the former a bit better).
Oops, fixed that too! I did like the name Citadel but it turns out it's far too confusing with other games or products.

Andrettin wrote: If I think of something else to comment on, I'll make another post later :)

By the way, will the player's progress during this test phase be maintained after the game is released, or will it be wiped out?
Look forward to any other feedback you have. :)

Definitely intend to keep all your progress for you!

David
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It would be nice that on win it would already select next mission.

Last mission of second location was quite hard. Had to make M/A deck for that.

Curiously one of locations offered after beating last of second is another tutorial. Not complaining though, another troll is nice.

Seems that haste gives double attack too, second of which is without retalition.
Assassinate is same as deathtouch? I assumed it was and added it to counter trolls for second location but didnt get to use it. Seems that it isnt actually, tried it in later place.
Whats the point of discarding?

Memory usage seems high, 900mb.

Seems land and building can be at same place at once, however only the one that was played last is viewable with hover.

Restart button would be nice for for mission esc menu.

Seems that destroy creature card can target fortifcations, but weaken creature cant.

Window size setting could be kept. Also, during ai turn I got some kind of assertion failed that made game stop responding.

Reached the point where I need to ally with someone so cant get further.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

In the third mission of the second campaign phase, I was about to win, ended the turn and alt+tabbed. When I came back, this was the result:

max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

The card doesn't seem to be displayed properly. I'm on a laptop with windows 7 64 bit with an NVIDIA Geforce GT540M graphics card.
Untitled.png
Also, when I tried to make my account using the same as name as what i have in the forum it said that the username was taken, then when I tried to log in using that said username i was able to log in so it seems that if you have an account on wesnoth forum automatically you have an account in this game?
Also how do I get it to run fullscreen rather than on a window, because the bottom most portion of the program window is clipped so I cannot see "crypt" and "library".
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Dave wrote: This is a great suggestion. I've implemented it so if you play now you should see the card if you mouse over the creature. It looks like this:

I've tried it out in-game. Quite nice :)
Look forward to any other feedback you have. :)

Definitely intend to keep all your progress for you!

David
Great :)

By the way, the description for the Witch's Path is the same as for The Iron Cities.

And I have a suggestion to make regarding villages. There are seemingly always two villages in the center lane, and one village in the leftmost lane. If I played with human players, naturally sometimes I would have one village in the leftmost lane, and one in the rightmost one. I suggest making it similar for fights against the AI; have the leftmost village be instead randomly generated either on the leftmost or on the rightmost lane.

Also, I think that it would be nice to be able to create more predefined decks (if the player owns enough cards), since some people might enjoy playing the card game, but not deck-building as much.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Really appreciate it. I put a new update out with some more fixes
Ravana wrote:It would be nice that on win it would already select next mission.
I'll look into something to make this more convenient shortly.
Ravana wrote: Seems that haste gives double attack too, second of which is without retalition.
Assassinate is same as deathtouch? I assumed it was and added it to counter trolls for second location but didnt get to use it. Seems that it isnt actually, tried it in later place.
Whats the point of discarding?
Haste only gives a single attack to the unit with haste. However, it does mean if a previous creature attacked an enemy and is now no longer there (probably because it died) you can summon a haste creature to attack again on the same turn. The enemy won't get to fight back because creatures only get to do damage at most once each turn. I might change this though to make it so defenders always hit back. I hope that makes sense.

Assassinate kills the enemy player with a single hit -- i.e. if you get a creature with assassinate to the enemy citadel you will win the game instantly. It doesn't help against enemy creatures at all.

You have a fixed hand size (4 + more if you control Villages or Libraries). At the start of your turn you draw up to your hand size. You might want to discard if some cards in your hand don't seem very useful and and you want to draw something else instead. I think I need to add something to the tutorial illustrating the importance of discarding.
Ravana wrote: Memory usage seems high, 900mb.
I haven't done much performance work on the game yet. For memory usage on Windows though you probably want to look at the Private Working Set. On my system that comes in at only ~100mb after just having started a campaign game. The virtual address space usage might hit 1000mb+ but this doesn't reflect actual memory usage. Memory usage reporting is tricky business.
Ravana wrote: Seems land and building can be at same place at once, however only the one that was played last is viewable with hover.
Fixed this. Now whichever one you hover over you get to see -- there is hopefully enough space around the edges to easily mouse over the land vs the creature/fortification on top of it.
Ravana wrote: Restart button would be nice for for mission esc menu.
Added!
Ravana wrote: Seems that destroy creature card can target fortifcations, but weaken creature cant.
Neither should be able to unless it specifically says so. Which card are you talking about and what could you target with it?
Ravana wrote: Window size setting could be kept. Also, during ai turn I got some kind of assertion failed that made game stop responding.
Oh, did you get the text of the assertion or can you reproduce it?
Ravana wrote: Reached the point where I need to ally with someone so cant get further.
Okay, hopefully we can get more people playing soon so multiplayer can be a thing!

I will also try to add some more campaign content soon.
Andrettin wrote: In the third mission of the second campaign phase, I was about to win, ended the turn and alt+tabbed. When I came back, this was the result
This is the UI for when you mouse over the crypt or library and it shows you the cards you have. It shouldn't show over the top of the victory dialog of course so I have fixed it in the latest update, shouldn't happen again!
max_torch wrote: The card doesn't seem to be displayed properly. I'm on a laptop with windows 7 64 bit with an NVIDIA Geforce GT540M graphics card
I haven't fixed this yet but will try to get to it soon!
max_torch wrote: Also, when I tried to make my account using the same as name as what i have in the forum it said that the username was taken, then when I tried to log in using that said username i was able to log in so it seems that if you have an account on wesnoth forum automatically you have an account in this game?
This would have been a bug where maybe you double clicked the register button. It sent two register messages, one which succeeded and the other which returned an error. Of course it's a bug to allow this so I've fixed it now, thanks for the report!

max_torch wrote: Also how do I get it to run fullscreen rather than on a window, because the bottom most portion of the program window is clipped so I cannot see "crypt" and "library".
Press ctrl+f for fullscreen
Andrettin wrote: By the way, the description for the Witch's Path is the same as for The Iron Cities.

And I have a suggestion to make regarding villages. There are seemingly always two villages in the center lane, and one village in the leftmost lane. If I played with human players, naturally sometimes I would have one village in the leftmost lane, and one in the rightmost one. I suggest making it similar for fights against the AI; have the leftmost village be instead randomly generated either on the leftmost or on the rightmost lane.
Yes, next up is to work more on the campaign, and add more diverse maps with various differences!
Andrettin wrote:
Also, I think that it would be nice to be able to create more predefined decks (if the player owns enough cards), since some people might enjoy playing the card game, but not deck-building as much.
Yes, definitely! Do you have any suggestions for decks to add?
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Well, doesn't work under Wine- is it too soon for Linux version/source code?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Crow_T wrote:Well, doesn't work under Wine- is it too soon for Linux version/source code?
Source code is available. Get the code for the engine at https://github.com/anura-engine/anura/tree/trunk (make sure you get the trunk branch).

Just use 'make' to build. You will have to install some dependencies (most of which are depends Wesnoth has also).

It'll spit out the binary, anura. Invoke it like this:

Code: Select all

./anura --auto-update-module --module=citadel
Let me know if you have any problems!

I'm also working on providing OSX binaries at the moment.