My latest project -- a digital collectible card game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kutaka

Re: My latest project -- a digital collectible card game

Post by kutaka »

Nice game!

Some quick feedback, after few hours of play:

+ Ai is much better than I expected
+ Nice menu and cards manipulation
+ Simple game rules

- Not the best balance (alpha, I know;) But that wisp! OVERPOWERED!
- Card graphics from Wesnoth do not always fit (again alpha issue)
- Concept of factions is a bit useless, as most of the cards have minimal mana costs, so you do not really save a lot on mana by sticking to factions.
- Menu, albeit nice, could be polished
- Smells too much of MtG ;)

Overall, really nice game, very good start;)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

kutaka wrote:Nice game!

Some quick feedback, after few hours of play:
Thank you for your feedback! It's very much appreciated. You should know that we have a dedicated forum for discussing the game if you're interested: http://reddit.com/r/argentumage
kutaka wrote: - Not the best balance (alpha, I know;) But that wisp! OVERPOWERED!
I would actually like to think that the game is fairly well balanced, though I'm happy to be proven wrong. :) I think the Wisp is a nice card, but fairly priced. You should play some multiplayer games -- I'm on from time to time as is Velensk and other developers -- and show us how you can make an overpowered deck by slaughtering us and forcing us to rebalance. ;)
kutaka wrote: - Card graphics from Wesnoth do not always fit (again alpha issue)
It is our plan to do all-original art for any given 'set' of cards before releasing it. Here is the page showing all the complete cards we have so far: http://theargentlark.com/david/cards/complete.html

Of course, getting art takes time!
kutaka wrote: - Concept of factions is a bit useless, as most of the cards have minimal mana costs, so you do not really save a lot on mana by sticking to factions.
Hmmm I would say that there is plenty of incentive to play the same school. If you play a card like Knife in the Dark, it costs 6 mana if you don't have any Entropia creatures, coming down all the way to 3 for 3 Entropia creatures. This is a pretty big incentive to play lots of Entropia!

Again, prove us wrong using the superiority of your five-school deck. :)
kutaka wrote: - Smells too much of MtG ;)
Well it's obviously in the same genre as MtG (and other CCG's such as Hearthstone or Solforge), however I think it's quite different to Magic in lots of ways. Meant to be more casual/simpler, focus more on exciting card interaction, focus on tactical placement of cards, totally different mana system -- as well as being free, and community driven. So lots of differences. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Well, I finally tried Argentum Age. I like what I see.

One question, though: I have advanced past the first two levels in The Iron Cities, even though I lost both matches. Is that intentional? Or is it a bug?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Well, I finally tried Argentum Age. I like what I see.

One question, though: I have advanced past the first two levels in The Iron Cities, even though I lost both matches. Is that intentional? Or is it a bug?
That would be a bug. I will try to reproduce and fix it.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Dave wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:Well, I finally tried Argentum Age. I like what I see.

That would be a bug. I will try to reproduce and fix it.
Great! Glad I could help!

And it seems to be a bigger problem. I encountered the same bug in some of the levels of The City of Marlank, Reaping the Cycle, Fury of the Elementals, and Melding of Ways.

On the other hand, I played "Birth of the Alliance" with someone, but never got credit for winning it. And if there is supposed to be another level after the first, we never advanced to it either.
Xara

Post by Xara »

Temuchin Khan wrote: On the other hand, I played "Birth of the Alliance" with someone, but never got credit for winning it. And if there is supposed to be another level after the first, we never advanced to it either.
As far as I know, there is no succeeding level. And I found co-op games quite buggy, like the tech levels all go to the first player and the second player get the seals shown on wrong places.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes, co-op mode is quite bugged right now though -- it hasn't been worked on for quite some time since a bunch of game play changes.

We will work on getting it going soon though.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Oh and I should also note that the exact rules of co-op are still slightly in flux, any suggestions are welcome!
Xara

Post by Xara »

Some thoughts on co-op mode:
1. I think in co-op modes the two players should not use shared tech levels, otherwise it rewards same color team too much and thus deny a whole lot of deck combinations as well as the possibility/fun of random team-up.
2. Maybe the two players can use a few shared mana, like 4 mana per turn that can be used by either side. The share mana is auto-used when one player dries his own personal mana.
3. Two players can share a health of 60. And current battlefield is fine.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Xara wrote:2. Maybe the two players can use a few shared mana, like 4 mana per turn that can be used by either side. The share mana is auto-used when one player dries his own personal mana.
Actually, I don't think there should be any shared mana. To me, that seems a bit confusing. Each player should have his own completely distinct mana pool.
3. Two players can share a health of 60.
I suppose that would work. I don't think there's any potential confusion there.

And I agree that the current battlefield is good.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Whenever I install Argentum Age on Windows 7, Hexchat will stop working, because MSVCR120.dll is missing.
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

The link given in the first post is argentum-age.com and does not work. It seems argentumage.com is the correct one. Is/Will it be open-source?
-- ^ --
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Lorbi wrote:The link given in the first post is argentum-age.com and does not work. It seems argentumage.com is the correct one. Is/Will it be open-source?
Yes, the correct link is now http://argentumage.com

Binaries are available:

- Windows: http://theargentlark.com/files/ArgentumAge-setup.exe
- OSX: http://theargentlark.com/files/ArgentumAge-OSX.zip

It is open source. Source code: https://github.com/davewx7/citadel

Right now we do require a 'beta key' to get access to the main servers but if you download and install it you can message me for a beta key if you need one.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Dave wrote: Yes, the correct link is now http://theargentlark.com
I am having a problem accessing the website. This is what I get when going to it:

"It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Andrettin wrote:
Dave wrote: Yes, the correct link is now http://theargentlark.com
I am having a problem accessing the website. This is what I get when going to it:

"It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."
Sorry I gave the wrong link. The correct one is http://argentumage.com

However right now that just has some information about the game. You can use the links I provided to download it.