How to improve Wesnoth Combat System?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yahiko

How to improve Wesnoth Combat System?

Post by yahiko »

Hello guys,

Well, I've finished the main campaign of this wonderful game which is The Battle for Wesnoth I've discovered recently.
It gave me a lot of fresh ideas for a game project I am thinking (and elaborating) since a long time.

Beyond quite difficult technical aspects I need to solve (I am writting my game in Javascript), I still have some issues about the game design.
Among those issues, I am still unsure about which combat system and damage formulas I have to implement.

The combat system in the BfW is great, but sometimes, even quite often, a little bit frustrating.
Maybe it is because of the importance of luck or maybe it is because of other aspect like the fact a unit has several blows to hit which could lead to some borring combat phases where both sides miss.

I think some people here, who have a good exprience of Wesnoth could tell me in which way the combat system could be improved.

Thanks for your suggestions ;)
optimother

Re: How to improve Wesnoth Combat System?

Post by optimother »

Have you checked my attempt?
yahiko

Post by yahiko »

Thanks.

I've read carefully your approach and it seems worth testing.
However, I tried to follow your steps to add this feature in the game, but I cannot make it works.

1. I've created the add-ons folder in Wesnoth1.11\data\.
2. I've created the Deterministic_Offense subfolder.
3. I've retrieved _main.cfg from the Wesnoth\data\ folder in "Program Files" and I've copied it to the Deterministic_Offense subfolder previously created.
4. I've added at the very end of _main.cfg, the piece of code you mention :
Spoiler:
5. I've created a new file called deterministic_offence.lua with the content you mention
Spoiler:
6. Once I launch the game, nothing special, and if I right click on the background map in the title screen, nothing happens.

Where I am wrong? :hmm:
optimother

Post by optimother »

You followed the obsolete instruction, which should work but is hard and hard to tell what's went wrong. The simpler version is: run Wesnoth, click Add-ons in right menu (under the 'Load' button), connect to default server, type 'determ' and hit install (1.11.15+ required).

I updated the post with instructions. In multiplayer the mode is selected in game creation menu and cannot be changed later, in single player you can change it at any time.
yahiko

Post by yahiko »

I made it work. Thanks. ;)
Behavior is interesting. Combat outcomes look more "natural".
optimother

Post by optimother »

You're welcome :) Glad you liked it.