[DIY] making html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

optimother

Re: [DIY] making html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Post by optimother »

Shadow_Walker wrote:Oops, typo. Of course, ctrl is wrong, it is shift+S / shift+W / shift+Q, as you probably found already.
I tried all keys except Shift :)

+1 to ChaosRider. The number of features is enough, time to make some use of them. I tried to play level 130 elvish archer, fighter and human knight. The difference is striking. As an archer you just look at the minimap to find the red dots to clean it, have tons of spells, everything is fast and smooth, until you shoot someone with orange aura and die. As a fighter it's way slower and harder, to kill orc sovereign you need do several raids. The knight have 1000hp at 95 armor and is virtually invulnerable, killing everything including dragons with a single hit. Playing melee-only fighters is really slow and annoying.
johndh

Post by johndh »

When casting Heal on myself, I get the message that I've been fully healed and my health ring turned fully green, but the numbers at the bottom don't reflect it.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

johndh wrote:When casting Heal on myself, I get the message that I've been fully healed and my health ring turned fully green, but the numbers at the bottom don't reflect it.
Fixed in the online version, thanks for reporting it.
optimother wrote: I tried to play level 130 elvish archer, fighter and human knight. The difference is striking. As an archer you just look at the minimap to find the red dots to clean it, have tons of spells, everything is fast and smooth, until you shoot someone with orange aura and die. As a fighter it's way slower and harder, to kill orc sovereign you need do several raids. The knight have 1000hp at 95 armor and is virtually invulnerable, killing everything including dragons with a single hit. Playing melee-only fighters is really slow and annoying.
So, every character has its own gameplay style up to level 130 - this is great! Archers still have to worry about Reflect aura (orange), and knights are "slow" but deadly to all living, even dragons (which matches their fantasy role). Melee-only fighters are not so "slow" when time shift ability is used, right? Also, even melee-only knight and warrior have access to attack spells. For example, they may cast "Heal" spells on Undead from turn 1, which takes 25%..75% "health" away from those.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Português translation added to the online version (see top-right corner of the welcome screen). Kudos to trewe!

http://wessense.org/release/0.93a/
( ctrl+r / ctrl+f5 to refresh browser cache if you don't see a new translation in the list)
optimother

Post by optimother »

One more improvement idea: currently you cannot it's very hard to plan your attack because some higher math involved in armor effect, aura etc. It'd be nice to see the approx damage you'll deal, because for example you have 4x47 which seems enough for a 37hp but it turned out to be not.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

optimother wrote:One more improvement idea: currently you cannot it's very hard to plan your attack because some higher math involved in armor effect, aura etc. It'd be nice to see the approx damage you'll deal, because for example you have 4x47 which seems enough for a 37hp but it turned out to be not.
Well.. High opponent's combined armor value (displayed on mouse-over), I suppose? 4 x 47 = 188, which means your 37hp opponent had about 80% effective armor rating to survive the attack. Of course, it depends on the attacker too. There is a +- 30% built-in dmg random, which is negligible at low levels, but could matter a lot at high levels.

What would be a preferred way to display expected damage information? There is little space in tile to display it along with armor.. Could be displayed right under the tile, I guess..
optimother

Post by optimother »

Showing under the tile will somewhat clutter the map, I think one of these is better:
1. Homm3-like, show in status bar. In our case use smaller font size for top log and write it there. Like Orc Sovereign 5000hp ... (all what is there now in big font). <newline and small font>You will deal 3dmg.
2. Alter player stats in the bottom of screen.

I'd like second. But first is more flexible, you can write damage range there and whatever may come later. Maybe in player stats it's possible too: like 3x50±30. It's also better because you'd see both stats - ranged and melee, while in your proposed approach, or homm-like it will be less obvious
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Thanks for the i18n support! Also two thumbs up for having a language selection menu :D, browser auto-detection can really screw things up :eng:

How about creating a project on Transifex? This would make it really easy for translators to track changes, and you could also automate the source code integration. So, less work for all concerned. Transifex is a commercial platform, but they offer free services for FOSS projects, and everybody can download the files. So we won't be screwed if they should ever change things.
Shadow_Walker wrote:I will have to provide conversion for old saves to new game versions as it goes.
Not necessarily - you could add version numbers to the save game format, so if the version doesn't match, the user gets a "sorry, tough luck, we're still in alpha" message.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Howdy. Long time, no see.. W.Essense development has slowed to a crawl. But, new architecture is coming, and map editor is confirmed. Here is a very early preview:
http://wessense.org/editor/0.1/
Takes some time to load, so give it a minute. Select tile/terrain/object from columns to the right, then apply it to the map. Tiles erase terrain and objects.

Since I have substantial knowledge gap in games and modern game development practices, I had to take a rapid educational course - played some widely appreciated and successful time-killers recently to understand their success drivers. Summary: W.Essense is lacking poorly designed multiplayer, chat-based guilds with costly upgrades, an in-game purchases in general to be successful :)

PS: Do you know some hosting with mq support? Preferably mqtt over websockets, so with preinstalled activemq / apollo..
dorf

Post by dorf »

I don't know of any such hosting, though with dedicated hosting you can do whatever you want.

However, is mq strictly necessary?
What is the use-case for it? Maybe you can switch to something more lightweight/simpler.
Shield

Post by Shield »

Is this thread still alive...?
This game is really great so far! It's challenging enough to demand constant attention, but easy enough to not wear you out too quickly. Kind of surreal seeing Wesnoth graphics on a square grid instead of a hexmap...

Anyways, I was playing as the Mage, and the game broke when I tried to cast "rain"! Any clue if and when this can this be fixed?
Creator of Lonely Era.
Here's my art!
I'm also on Tumblr.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I am also still waiting for my translation to be added ;)
Wesnother

Post by Wesnother »

The download site is currently down.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Is it abandoned?
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Website went south, yes :(
I do not have much time to develop this game, but I do update it from time to time - just for myself. It is at v0.95a now.

In v0.95a there were plenty of changes:
- autosave every 25 turns (resurrection has been dropped for good);
- "chance to hit" added (really made a difference) - this has changed how ranged attacks work;
- forests/mountains now do not block movement but rather take +1 turn instead (aka harsh terrain) - this has changed gameplay strategy;
- area spells can be cancelled (and do not destroy quest objects anymore);
- charmed units / hired bodyguards / clones - now one can dismiss unwanted units (actions like "wait here" and "come with me" to be added soon);
- units now talk to themselves (random quotes) or employ battle cries;
- interface is improved (nice narrow font, notifications do not block screen etc..);
- graphics processing is finally straightened up - now game does 0-3 FPS when idle and no enemies around, and goes up to ~40 FPS when battle is heating up and arrows are flying around;
- dozens of lesser changes and bugfixes;

Not sure when I decide to restore the website, really. May eventually upload new version to indiedb, if anyone cares.