Trying to build steam for a TBS hex based 2D fantasy game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nasturtium

Trying to build steam for a TBS hex based 2D fantasy game

Post by Nasturtium »

Hi Wesnoth forums.

I posted this on reddit a little while back, it ended up with 7k upvotes and made me think really want to play my game concept.

[img]
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/120 ... ighRez.png[/img]

Here is a game design doc I am working on, if you want to bore yourself to sleep: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CcT ... edit?pli=1

Here are some assets I have compiled. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mcajpo4rrgqmzju/gGmT-kzQzU

The problem is, I am a character artist and animator with no programming skills, and not so great leadership skills. I have found a few people willing to help, but its tough going. Any feedback welcome.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Trying to build steam for a TBS hex based 2D fantasy gam

Post by fabi »

Hello Nasturtium and welcome to the forums.

Nice concept you have there.
Nasturtium wrote:The problem is, I am a character artist and animator with no programming skills, and not so great leadership skills. I have found a few people willing to help, but its tough going. Any feedback welcome.
The Wesnoth engine is versatile enough to be reused for your project.
Beside the feature of moving several units in a formation your ideas should be more or less easy to be implemented in our WML scripting language or in Lua.
Maybe the formation feature can also be done with some hacking.

Thus you have the option to produce a wesnoth mod, saving time with the development of your own engine.
Nasturtium

Post by Nasturtium »

Thanks for the reply. I am not super knowledgeable when it comes to coding and engines etc... the main thing that I absolutely need is a way to display potentially thousands of bone based animations (.json) on the screen at once. Is the Wesnoth engine capable of interacting with bone based skeletal animations?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Not really. All we have is based on sprites and absolute locations (well, relative to a hex, but not relative to another sprite). I suppose the requisite calculations could be done in formula or lua, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. You may want to take a look at anura (frogatto's engine) instead. Its data language is FSON (a superset of JSON) and it has a very powerful functional language built in.
Nasturtium

Post by Nasturtium »

I can't seem to find his thread, can you please link it to me? thanks for the suggestion
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Frogatto is not a Wesnoth mod, it's another game developped by some of Wesnoth Developpers.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth