Problem with Deus Shift, or how to attract and keep players?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deo

Problem with Deus Shift, or how to attract and keep players?

Post by Deo »

Around march 2012 on Kongregate and later on january 2013 on Newgrounds a game called Deus Shift had been posted. It is a flash turn-based two player strategy. It was recieved badly by community on both sites, with low rating, but a few people (Including me) really liked it. Personally I consider Deus Shift one of the best flash games I've ever played, so I can't understend people's reaction. So here are the points of the topic:
1) What makes people like games in general? What attracts them and what keeps them playing for decent time? How to build a comunity and keep game alive?
2) What was wrong with Deus Shift? What can be done to fix it? Should there be changes in the game, or is it possible to build comunity around current version of Deus Shift?
(You may try it here http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/608778 )
Dixie

Re: Problem with Deus Shift, or how to attract and keep play

Post by Dixie »

Well, for starters, there is not much single player.

And what seems to be the worst offender to me is that I kept selecting a unit to see stats or stuff, deciding "nah, this unit is fine where it is" and then clicking another... and end up swapping them or attacking or whatever. Insanely frustrating.

Also, except maybe for the ranged units (and even then) all units of a same line are not very different at all. more expensive units to the right are mostly just better versions of the ones on the left, and they mostly behave the same way...

On a finishing note, when I play flash games, it's not for multiplayer. Flash games are when I am either bored to death or I have very little time to kill, too little to engage a productive task or a better, more demanding game. Since Deus Shift doesn't really fit that role...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
GunChleoc
Translator

Re: Problem with Deus Shift, or how to attract and keep play

Post by GunChleoc »

Misclicks are indeed a problem. I keep moving units I don't intend to move. I would enjoy it otherwise.