Free Imperialism remake project

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Trilarion

Free Imperialism remake project

Post by Trilarion »

Hi, I like strategy games and programming and I am also a member of the "Imperialism remake project" (obviously there isn't a good name for it yet).
I would like to introduce you to it with a few words:

Imperialism 1 and 2 were turn based strategic games with tactical combat from the late 90s produced by SSI/Frog City which are now defunct. The player was leading a European nation (or fantasy nation) and had to win the struggle of about seven "major powers" and gain world dominance ultimately. For this military, diplomacy but above all industry had to be developed with ever colliding priorities. But using these things all wisely together would give a path to imperialistic victory. Both games were quite well known at their time but become kind of forgotten, also because the rights are scattered and they can't be bought anymore and no successor came out.

So we started an open source remake with basically the same structure as BfW bringing artists, supporters and programmers together. We want to develop our own vision of what Imperialism should have been.
Of course we are searching for interested volunteers, whether they just discuss the game or contribute more substantial things. Doesn't matter.

We have already a very simple, first version out for download featuring a simple terrain editor. The center of the community is the forum.

Also I can answer any question here.
Trilarion

Original is no longer abandonware

Post by Trilarion »

Above I said that the rights were scattered but it seems I was wrong because surprisingly it has been re-published today by GOG.com/Ubisoft. It is supposed to include the soundtrack as extra download and able to connect for Multiplayer-games over TCP/IP. This is a bit unexpected for me but really good news. People can play it again and I hope the remake also gets more fans.

If you play it again, there is a nice wiki about it. Link
Trilarion

Grown up quite a bit

Post by Trilarion »

Now it is four months since the first release and our team has grown and we have a new version of the Imperialism remake. We also have some terrain tiles artwork that we distribute. You can find it all at the download page.

Mainly the map is improved with borders, provinces, nations and rivers. Now we will focus on network and gameplay. I attached a screenshot so people can see how it looks like.
Editor Screen
Editor Screen
Btw. also Imperialism II is now made available for buying again.
Trilarion

Naming of the project

Post by Trilarion »

Although I am kind of the lonely spammer of this topic I hope I may allowed to continue updates from time to time. This time it's about the naming process. If you want you can propose a name in this thread. We want something that is more than just "remake" and captures the spirit of the era.

Also we started an intense discussion on game mechanics because we realized that strategy are so complex - you should have a good idea how they work before actually starting.
Andrettin

Re: Free Imperialism remake project

Post by Andrettin »

This sounds great! I loved that game back in the day.
KingJohnVI

Post by KingJohnVI »

Hey is this still active? This is awesome! Imperialism 1 and 2 were both fantastic games, and any remake that is half as good would be worth playing.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

The last GitHub commit was 3 years ago... so apparently the project has gone bust :-(
HonzaCZ

Post by HonzaCZ »

revolting_peasant wrote: July 27th, 2020, 6:43 pm The last GitHub commit was 3 years ago... so apparently the project has gone bust :-(
lol rekt :lol: :mrgreen:
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

@HonzaCZ: Well, you know, the people of the world will only stand for imperialism for so long! Down with the evil empires etc.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

The, to me, more interesting thing is - what makes some project success, and others fail.
axiomsofdominion

Post by axiomsofdominion »

Kinda shocked this project didn't finish. Imperialism is a very simple game and the art assets wouldn't have to be intense either.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Oh wow. Yeah, I have this installed on my Pentium II running Windows 98. Funny story about how I discovered it. Way back in the good ole days I was emailing a wargaming friend of mine about some stuff and since he happened to be in Germany at the time (stationed there IIRC) he could could get me some Maoam from the APX (I think). He sent it to me in the Imperialism game box! He wrote that gee don't ya wish it was the game I sent ya instead? :- ) Many years later I got curious about the game because the box is in plain sight in my bedroom along with others I do have the games for so I decided to get it. It was and is a great game. The intricate way you have to juggle your workers and resources is simply enthralling. The combat portion is not that exciting but since it rests upon your building achievements you feel good about it anyways. Very much the same appeal as Civ 1.