Assistance with tabletop RPG (Embryonic stages)

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RLennon

Assistance with tabletop RPG (Embryonic stages)

Post by RLennon »

My name is Rob Lennon and I am an independent sports game designer. My games use dice and individual player cards to recreate sporting events.

I am looking to make the jump from sports themed games to RPG's (Arena Battle). What would set my idea for an rpg apart from others is that I also plan to use individual cards to recreate fantasy battles. As with sports, each player is given an individual card to highlight their strengths and weaknesses. With this RPG, each type of character you can be (over 70 possible choices) will have their own individual card (which you can further personalize with stat bonuses). Please allow me to try and explain, LOL.

Characters can choose between eight classes (Fighter, Rogue, Wizard,...) and eight schools (Holy, Dark Arts, Pyro, ...) to have 64 different choices to be. Each choice would have their own card to roll on to resolve the outcome each round. When attacking, you roll 3d10 to generate a number between 1 and 1000. Results for 1-500 would be on the attacker's card, and results 501-1000 would be on the defenders card.

Characters would also have ratings to adjust their stats (Str, Dex, Con, ...). I have other bells and whistles to add to make the game unique. In certain game situations, players can 'Dig Deep' to tilt the scales in your favor. When diggin deep, your go from a 50/50 spilt to a 100/0 spilt in your favor.

This is all in the embryonic stage, but still thought I would throw it out there. If you check out my website and my sports forum, you can get a better idea of my products and how I am trying to incorporate them into a RPG. I'd love to share my game design experience as well.

Each type of character (8 schools x 9 classes = 72 possible choices) has their own unique strengths and weaknesses that will be incorporated into their card. When attacking (melee), your results can vary from solid hit to glancing blow: Critical miss to Epic hit (Epic...think super critical). By using 3d10 and generating a number from 1 to 1000, I can allow the result ranges to vary in accordance with the type of character.

I am not looking to promote my games or website here. I love BfW, and am very impressed with all the creativity that this forum has. If you are interested in anything I am talking about, please either PM here or shoot me an E-Mail to the address below. I will respond with my website, and a few samples of cards from games already released. I am also looking to create a sample card for my RPG Arena Battle game (No real title yet, but Diggin Deep: Battle for Nobleronn seems to be leading the pack).

Thanks!

Rob Lennon
rlennon 'at' diggindeepsports.com