GUI Question

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MoLAoS

GUI Question

Post by MoLAoS »

I am currently working on testing the integration of an HTML/CSS GUI using libRocket.

I am not at the point where it would be useful for people to contribute models or mods and such, but I just have a general question about how much use this feature would see. No point in setting it up if open source or modding people aren't interested.

How many of you guys can use web standard languages and how many would prefer to use those system for GUI creation? I am using a heavily modified version of the Glest Advanced Engine which currently uses WxWidgets and only really has the ability to modify positions of elements available to non-programmers. I am fairly comfortable with the source for this but its not very user friendly.

Would you be more likely to contribute to an open source project which allowed HTML/CSS and possibly Javascript/JQuery GUIs to be made as opposed to actual programming or GUI libraries with their own XML or scripting?

Ideally you would get not only styling and positioning but be able to grab data from the actual program. So to make a mod you could choose to display only the unit/faction/player stats which your mod used as opposed to all the stats the game engine provided.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GUI Question

Post by Crendgrim »

I assume most people who are visiting these forums are mainly into Wesnoth. You might get more answers if you post this at the FreeGameDev forums (if you did not already do so; at a quick glance I couldn't see a similar thread). :)
Last edited by Crendgrim on September 21st, 2012, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed BBC
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
MoLAoS

Post by MoLAoS »

Crendgrim wrote:I assume most people who are visiting these forums are mainly into Wesnoth. You might get more answers if you post this at the [url=http://forum.freegamedev.net/]FreeGameDev forums[/ur] (if you did not already do so; at a quick glance I couldn't see a similar thread). :)
True but these are the game development forums no? Kinda the reason I picked this forum? I don't need modders or contributors, I just wonder how much appeal using HTML has over engine specific formats.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Well, this here is merely a section of the Wesnoth forums (mostly used for speaking about other games, thus probably not even read by the majority of people visiting the forums — this is just my guess, though). I am just saying that there might be more interested people in the general free game development forums.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
MoLAoS

Post by MoLAoS »

Crendgrim wrote:Well, this here is merely a section of the Wesnoth forums (mostly used for speaking about other games, thus probably not even read by the majority of people visiting the forums — this is just my guess, though). I am just saying that there might be more interested people in the general free game development forums.
I registered and posted there, but they take forever to approve posts. There aren't really a lot of places to discuss this idea outside of specific open source game forums. Barely anyone reads the Glest forums and although they had a discussion at 0 A.D. it wasn't super popular.

There really aren't many active generic open source/modding forums. FGD doesn't look that active imo.