UFO: Alien Invasion version 2.4

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

H-Hour

Re: UFO: Alien Invasion version 2.4

Post by H-Hour »

Insinuator wrote:I'm glad that you're not focusing on multiplayer development. That's not at all what X-COM was about. I mean, it would be cool if you could play a whole campaign against another human, with one side as the aliens, but you'd have to invent a whole different system of deployment for the aliens.
I hadn't actually thought of that, which would be a huge effort. You might be interested in UFO: The Two Sides, a fan remake that allows you to play as aliens (I think). Unfortunately it is now dead, but maybe there was a partially complete demo you can find.

Our multiplayer actually just involves battlescape missions. You can face off against (or with) other players on single maps. I hope some day we'll support persistent squads in a kind of multiplayer ladder environment, but don't expect that any time soon.
Insinuator wrote:Graphics aren't really that important compared to capturing the feel of the combat: tense, dark, and punishing.
I like graphics, and hope to improve UFO: AI's (I made the alien base in the pic at the top of the thread), but we'll never match a commercial project like Firaxis. I definitely agree that the greatest thing about the X-Com battlescape was the difficulty. It was really tense. I am trying to push for more of that in UFO: AI. Currently, battles are not really tough until much later in the game, when enemy counts go higher.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Sourceforge has nominated us alongside eight other projects to be their Project of the Month for December. If we win we'll get a prominent link on their front page.

If you're a fan of our game, or just a fan of open-source gaming, vote today to help us attract more interest from players and developers. And spread the word so others will vote.

Vote here. (Twitter account required to vote)

(@Moderators: If this is a breach of etiquette in this forum, I apologize and please remove this post.)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Voted.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Why do you have to have a Twitter account?
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Thanks AI. SF must have messed up the initial closing date, because the poll closed a couple days ago, but now it's re-opened and I see we're really closing the gap (12 votes from the lead at the time of writing). If anyone else can vote, please do so!

@Insinuator: good question! It's really limited the votes we can muster.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

They switched to twtpoll after one poll got massively abused. The twitter-account requirement hasn't eliminated that, but it's a lot better now.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

AI wrote:They switched to twtpoll after one poll got massively abused. The twitter-account requirement hasn't eliminated that, but it's a lot better now.
That makes sense. I thought it was just a crude attempt to force social media integration.

(btw, we're still in a running battle on this one with JStock. We've been up-and-down for days and this could definitely come down to a single vote.)
dacurrlywon

Post by dacurrlywon »

Voted... :lol2: mainly because it is also available on my low res phone which is a huge plus for me ^_^
Edit Miss spelling :augh: (love the smiles on this forum)
I'm a noob ... though played a long time on and off since version 1.2 .. keep up the good work!