Untitled MUSH

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

Untitled MUSH

Post by dipseydoodle »

Hey guys... Writing yet another text-based game - specifically a MUSH (Multi User Social...) this time. I'm not sure what I'll really be doing about a host domain, all though I'm planning on hosting it locally mainly for friends and stuff. It will need to be invite-only membership etc, but surely the source will be open-source perhaps even public domain.

Here what I cam here to ask though. I'm looking at combining some kind of DB with Perl and or Python/Ruby etc (some kind of scripting language), it will be telnet oriented and I was wandering if there is a relatively easy "Data Base Engine" out there that is totally free (possibly GPL), cross platform and not exactly oriented towards MySQL (as in I want something "desktop side" if there even is such a thing"). I'd love to hear your ideas.

Here are some specifications on what it should look like when finished...
- Recommended connected and active players 12-20+
- Futuristic Sci-Fi themes (your an officer aboard a very large spaceship flying about in uncharted space in search of a "lost colony".)
- Few rooms in game: Lounge (Chat/OOC) where you will have the ability to start "Chat Rooms or Groups" and possibly play Doorgames, the Bridge where all the action takes place, Officer Quarters (a manageable apartment), Teleport Room (something along the lines of Startrek - but not to similar), Emergency Room (play the role of a fearless doctor or inpatient victim) and many others.
- Also, a feature that allows your character to take vacations of sorts to explore other worlds... Own a spaceship, work for other governments etc...

Again... Ideas on what kind of DB I should use would be just great.

Thanks.

-Dipseydoodle