Ace of Spades - Minecraft inspired multiplayer FPS

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Colouredbox

Ace of Spades - Minecraft inspired multiplayer FPS

Post by Colouredbox »

So anyone of you played this?
I think it's a really funny game with tons of potential.

Currently you choose between 2 teams (blues or greens) and between 3 weapons (Semi-automatic rifle, submachinegun and shotgun).
Your goal is usually to capture the enemy intel and bring it back to your base by tunneling, sneaking or by blasting heads off. :eng:
The game has a destroyable environment where you can also place blocks and create magnificent sniping towers or anything you can imagine.
You can also create skin or sound mods and even whole scripts which alter the gameplay!

Homepage with download:
http://ace-spades.com/

Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Ace of Spades - Minecraft inspired multiplayer FPS

Post by zookeeper »

I play that pretty regularly nowadays, it's simple, fun and a great casual game. If you took away the building/digging, it'd be a horribly bad FPS, but those elements really make it rather fun.

One of the best aspects is firstly how it is team-based but at the same time playing solo is a perfectly viable tactic if for example the rest of your team just happens to like to build stuff for fun instead of doing the objective, and secondly how the option of digging let's you decide how you want to play: you can either run around shooting enemies if that's what you like, or you can patiently dig tunnels to help you reach the enemy intel undetected or get into a good sniping position.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I don't know if things have changed since I played (a while ago), but my experience was that unless the server resets very frequently, the game tends to stagnate. Building is easier than destroying in most cases, so most games I played ended up like trench warfare from WW1: two lines of fortifications and an uncrossable no-man's-land between them. Frequently the river is the uncrossable area, completely negating any possibility of circumventing the fortifications or undermining them. I hear the rifle has been nerfed a bit since then, which may improve playability. When I played, it was not difficult to snipe with the rifle, and many players had one-shot, one-kill ratios.

Also, this game is not for anyone with any motion-sickness problems. The voxels look awful close up and blocks tend to deform oddly when you're close to them and moving the camera.

If you find a good server, it's a great game :D
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Tried this game a while back and was pretty impressed by its simplicity. Another game I found quite similar to this (in basic concept, not so much graphics-wise) is Cube and Cube 2 (although it is called something else too... some really weird name). But yeah, this game is pretty fun! I enjoyed the beauty in simplicity aspect.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Caphriel wrote:I don't know if things have changed since I played (a while ago), but my experience was that unless the server resets very frequently, the game tends to stagnate. Building is easier than destroying in most cases, so most games I played ended up like trench warfare from WW1: two lines of fortifications and an uncrossable no-man's-land between them. Frequently the river is the uncrossable area, completely negating any possibility of circumventing the fortifications or undermining them. I hear the rifle has been nerfed a bit since then, which may improve playability. When I played, it was not difficult to snipe with the rifle, and many players had one-shot, one-kill ratios.

Also, this game is not for anyone with any motion-sickness problems. The voxels look awful close up and blocks tend to deform oddly when you're close to them and moving the camera.

If you find a good server, it's a great game :D
Server resets have been pretty much disappeared if you don't change the map because of rollback (makes the map like it was in the beginning while you can still play on it) has been invented.

Default map isn't thatmuch played anymore and in custom maps(made by users) you rarely see total stalemates (especially with the overpowered squads).

Rifle has been nerfed so that it's not pinpoint anymore, many custom maps are more closed so the huge range isn't that much of a problem and if you keep firing the cone will increase.

They've removed the swaying motion by the way.
Last edited by Colouredbox on September 10th, 2011, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Interesting. Sounds like it's improved significantly. Maybe I'll give it a shot again.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Too bad it's only for PC. Is there plans for a Mac Port?
Desertofsounds1

Post by Desertofsounds1 »

I really like this game.
dipseydoodle wrote:Too bad it's only for PC. Is there plans for a Mac Port?
Someone made a mac port: http://www.ace-spades.com/forums/viewto ... =11&t=1774

Also 0.75 sucks, buggy and laggy with even worse weapon balance. :(