Unity Wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Odineye

Unity Wesnoth

Post by Odineye »

It was February i think when I saw an add on a flash site. It was to make a Unity game. There was a cash prize, and Unity was free. I have some experience programing, so I downloaded it, about 400mb. I was prepared to be unimpressed, but I was dead wrong. It features an impressive Locomotion system. It was smooth and easy to learn and use. I was astounded. I had done nothing with it for some time now. Then I was playing D&D with friends recently. We don't have fancy tokens, just cardboard cut-outs on stands. Mine are vinyl 8) and thought; why not do this. It preserves Wesnoths unique art and seems realistic.

http://unity3d.com/unity/

Make a clear box with an image on it of units. Use the land tiles to make a map. It'd be all manual but it could work. All the images are there already, just need to be assembled in 3D.

Possible cool things
Add terrain hieght. It could be completely decorative. It could be done by laying a hex grid over a 3D generated landmass. The imgs would be the same, just lumpy. Or it could be multiple "Flat" layers of the default images. (i.e. =-_) Where = is say a mountain; - is some grass; _ is deep water. It would be viewed from Wesnoth's unique just-off-plum view in used in current Wesnoth. Terrain could have advantage. Maybe +5%

An effective test run would be to recreate a campaign. With the general 'newness' of Unity will be a large factor in the quality production the Tutorial campaign. It will be a decent judge of Unity's capability.
uncleshelby

Re: Unity Wesnoth

Post by uncleshelby »

Well, this is my opinion. I think Wesnoth wouldn't be to amazing 3D. In fact, it seems it wouldn't even really be Wesnoth. Also, is Unity 3D under the GPL?
Timshel
Odineye

Post by Odineye »

Then you have nothing to fear from the attempt :)

I don't know but I think so.
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

uncleshelby wrote:Also, is Unity 3D under the GPL?
No.

Also, there's still been no compelling reason to make Wesnoth 3D anyway.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Odineye

Post by Odineye »

Of course there is! Just for the sake of doing so. Why would you come to the board of Game Development creativity. You could at least put in the effort of a trolling. I hate nay sayers that just say nay.
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

Meh, not rehashing the arguments already outlined in the other 3D threads you've posted in.

Unity isn't GPL. You can't go any further with this anyway.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Odineye wrote:Of course there is! Just for the sake of doing so. Why would you come to the board of Game Development creativity.
Uh, what? There's nothing creative about the "idea" of taking a 2D game and making it 3D just for the sake of doing so.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The developers have no interest in making Wesnoth 3D. And if they were interested, they wouldn't use some locked down, windows-and-mac-only, browser based piece of crap to do it.
You could at least put in the effort of a trolling. I hate nay sayers that just say nay.
No. If you want a space ship made out of chocolate fudge, then you put in the effort to build a prototype and show us all why it is better than the metal ones. We don't need to put in any effort before we say nay. We already know that such a ship would not survive atmospheric re-entry.

Though honestly I'd be a bit disappointed to see anyone put effort into making an inferior copy of Wesnoth rather than improving the game we've already got.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

[Deleted, see next comment.]
Last edited by ancestral on September 2nd, 2011, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Well it could, being 2d is in no way essential to Wesnoth. I just very much doubt that being 3D would be an improvement of any kind.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

averyimaginativename wrote: Unity isn't GPL. You can't go any further with this anyway.
And, most important, Unity doesn't support Linux. This is really a no-go for a FLOSS project IMHO.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

averyimaginativename wrote:Unity isn't GPL. You can't go any further with this anyway.
Actually, I don’t think that’s an issue, as long as the source code to make the project binary with is freely available.

I think you’re going to run into a roadblock with the graphics. It’s not so simple to render 2D pixel graphics into 3D. It’ll look like dog poop. How would you honestly do this?

None of the developers wish to add a 3D engine to the game as it would certainly require a massive rewrite of code and sprites would have to be completely redrawn from scratch. (See FPI #18: This game should incorporate better graphics.)

If you’re looking for a 3D Wesnoth I’d recommend having a look elsewhere. You might check out the new King’s Bounty games, Disciples III, or Valkyria Chronicles, just to name a few. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some FLOSS 3D turn-based tile-based strategy games out there.

If you’re a talented 3D engine programmer feel free to start your own project, or even make a fork of Wesnoth, but the Wesnoth project is not radically changing itself and will stay true to its origins as a 2D game.
Last edited by ancestral on September 5th, 2011, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Odineye wrote:Of course there is! Just for the sake of doing so. Why would you come to the board of Game Development creativity. You could at least put in the effort of a trolling. I hate nay sayers that just say nay.
The world of computer graphics it not split between good 3D graphics, and bad graphics. And as a result of that, there is no need for a 3D Wesnoth.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Why is this still open? I think it can be locked...
Timshel
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It would have died if people had just left it alone.

In future, that's what the report button is for.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.