Adventure Style RPG Book (Opinions Wanted)

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

Adventure Style RPG Book (Opinions Wanted)

Post by dipseydoodle »

EDIT: BSD License seems pretty promising.

Note: If you remember the old book such as Zork etc, you'll probably be of some kind of help.

I began writing a RPG/Chose-Your-Own-Adventure today. It's a Fantasy/Fiction Adventure with Role Play elements.

It involves mainly: adventuring through a large forest system and solving puzzles.

My Question is this:

1: What License should I use? I like GPL V3 but I am really considering not licensing it at all. Maybe I'll look into Creative Commons. And I want it to be completely FREE... I mean Absolutely 100% Free

I don't have a lot of background in licensing (except GPL, I've licensed a few of my Interactive Fiction Games in it), so any help would be great.

2: Seeing the Choose-Your-Own adventure genre has died off, I chose to add some roleplaying elements (like Health, Inventory and basic skills). Is this a good Idea? Will You: the player be able to keep control of all this? Keep in mind that I also want this to be enjoyed by a large group, not just geeks and gammers.

3: As some of you know, I have written past games like this in the Inform7 language Additionally I use Parchment: An Offline/Online Virtual Machine (Used to read Inform7 Code which is then converted into Z-Code [An ancient programming language dating back to the 70's]). Would they like this? Or something similar to HTML or Tads? (For Source Code reasons).

Please, I know this sound confusing. Sitting back, reading this I even find it awkward; I admit that. This is my first time doing something as big as this. I have fooled around with some stuff before (but it was just for practice [here's and example :|])), so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading...

Dipseydoodle.
Last edited by dipseydoodle on April 23rd, 2011, 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Adventure Style RPG Book (Opinions Wanted)

Post by Crendgrim »

dipseydoodle wrote:1: What License should I use? I like GPL V3 but I am really considering not licensing it at all. Maybe I'll look into Creative Commons. And I want it to be completely FREE... I mean Absolutely 100% Free

I don't have a lot of background in licensing (except GPL, I've licensed a few of my Interactive Fiction Games in it), so any help would be great.
Have a look at the BSD license. I think this should fit your needs.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
neotemplar

Post by neotemplar »

This sounds like it would work very well as a visual novel sort of thing. Consider using RenPy for it?
http://www.renpy.org/

(I personally see visual novels as what the old text adventure books have moved onto. Also I think it will let you manage stats and such so that'd be a boon to you.)
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Thanks. I've looked at RenPy before and wasn't too impressed. I may stick with Inform7 after all being I just figured out the graphical portion.
bobknows

Post by bobknows »

This has been done on the iPod. Look up fighting fantasy.

if it's on a computer hp and such are no problem, if it's in a real book you could try having a slider or something vs pen and paper
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

3: As some of you know, I have written past games like this in the Inform7 language Additionally I use Parchment: An Offline/Online Virtual Machine (Used to read Inform7 Code which is then converted into Z-Code [An ancient programming language dating back to the 70's]). Would they like this? Or something similar to HTML or Tads? (For Source Code reasons).
Every tech fossil worth his salt knows Z-code. Not many of us are very active, but you can go to any CPC or Spectrum enthusiast site and there'll be people there to help you. Writing a text adventure in a different language seems to me to make no more sense than writing a 3D shooter in python. If you're already comfortable with a language that translates to what's been the de facto standard for what, 30 years?, why change?
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.