Frogatto

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

norbert

Re: Frogatto

Post by norbert »

Frogger5 wrote:And the fact that didn't help was that after you finnish the game the potato dude at the start hasn't finished cooking lunch. :D
If I remember correctly, when I teleported back he said he already ate and leftovers are in the fridge.
(I tried pushing up in front of the fridge and nothing happened. Maybe give Frogatto 1/4 of an extra life there?)
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

:hmm: Didn't say that for me... Bug?
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Frogger5 wrote::hmm: Didn't say that for me... Bug?
Very recent addition. That business of pato never finishing lunch needed to get fixed.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:geek: WE HAZ FORUM: http://www.frogatto.com/forum/

Tonepoet wrote:Whilst pick up and go value might decrease the need for content divergence, if you expect the free version to sell commercial copies, it needs replay value. Short games don't often have much replay value because they don't offer variety, depth or both. Just how long is this?
With the checkpoints as forgiving as they are, less than a day. If we saved like zelda, though, much, much longer. I'd say the game is roughly as long as Kirby's Adventure for the NES. The checkpoint business is an experiment, which we might change in the future. We just needed to release the damn game, and get some feedback.

We're strongly thinking of adding new content in the future, and our chief concern is replayability. The worry you state is something I share. When we add new content, it's not going to be a one-shot campaign like we have - personally, I'm strongly interested in making a Super-Smash-Bros multiplayer throwdown. I think that would have a *lot* of replay value, and would also be tons of fun.

The other idea is a speedrun arcade mode. I think this would work even better if it had randomly-generated maps, but I'm unsure how easy that is to do. Perhaps just randomly-chained.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Couldn't you add other campaigns such as
"Years later -Thing- happened" and you set out an another adventure with different maps and maybe enemies?
(Instead of making the current one longer)
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

BTW, are there any plans to 'liven up' the menu screen? The black background, two doors and some text hardly does justice to the game. I don't know what (if any) reason(s) there are behind that, but the game might give a better first impression if the menu screen had a better background than just blackness. It makes it seem... incomplete.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Dressing it up like an indoor level would be cool.
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

hey guys, just dropped by to say well done. The game looks awesome.
working on the greek translation
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Gambit wrote:Dressing it up like an indoor level would be cool.
The indoor tileset is a mess, or I'm missing something huge.
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Gambit wrote:
What do you mean?
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Level editor, probably. Type Ctrl-E.

EDIT: BTW, that could be made more obvious, either someone in game tells you at some point, as a would-be secret, either show it on the start-up screen or something...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

I know how to use the editor. I wanted to know why he thought it was a mess.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Gambit wrote:
You're missing something huge. Crimson Penguin explained it to me though, and I'm willing to fill you in. Basically you create a giant rectangle for the interior and then you erase away from that in the shape of the rooms. The outer rectangle must be at least 2 boxes over the screen edges on all sides. The inside dimensions should be at least one away from screen edges.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Nice, I was rather reminded of Ferazels wand, which unfortunately induced me with a habit of attempting to jump onto any tree I saw.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Velensk wrote:Nice, I was rather reminded of Ferazels wand, which unfortunately induced me with a habit of attempting to jump onto any tree I saw.
Yes, that's not accidental. There's a fairly large "shout out" to Ferazel's Wand in frogatto, esp WRT stuff like the torches, and the perspectivized water background. I have many fond memories of that game.