Browser version of Wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Browser version of Wesnoth

Post by ancestral »

You might check out something I whipped up a while ago: http://r.wesnoth.org/t36714.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Cumulus

Post by Cumulus »

Thanks for the link :)
Actually I create my own maps in the Wesnoth map editor and then I make a screenshot from it which I 'm cropping to the size of the game window displayed in your browser. Usually I cut a bigger map in 4,8 or 16 smaller maps so you can scroll over it with some sort of joystick button on your screen. Then I lay a hexagon grid over it where items, units and buildings are moving or being placed. Everything is stored and/or updated in mysql tables.

In a first stage I was also building the map itself with separate tiles which I copied from the game folder, but when you try to make everything seamless you have to lay up to 15 png images on top of eachother for each hexagon which causes 2-5 mb of data traffic for each action you make, so you end up with a game which is unplayable on a shared server (cannot afford a dedicated server yet, not to mention the data someone would consume while playing mobile from a tablet with a data connection). Working with a jpg screenshot instead reduces data and processing power by more than 90%.

From what I see the wesnoth canvas in the link you mentionned, only uses a single layer of tiles so the problem with seams between tiles is not solved there.

Another problem I ran into is that my skills to draw images and artwork are rather poor. I was very lucky that wesnoth graphics can be used under GPL license and I will happily refer to the official Wesnoth website in my game, but I'm also forced to make creative use of existing images from the game. Ofcourse Wesnoth doesn't have ages so for Stone and Tool Age I use some Orcish buildings and units while for Bronze Age I will use some human units/buildings while Elven stuff looks most suitable for the Iron Age. If I want to work with races I will get stuck because all race units are mixed this way. And you really don't want to know where I'll be getting those priests from ;)

I might call for help from those who like drawing and designing stuff at a later stage of my game development though. Would be nice if I'm able to respect the spirit and story of Wesnoth into the smallest details while creating an empire building game where you advance from a primitive encampment to a mighty kingdom over the ages :)

Will post a screenshot once all buildings, items and units in the Stone Age are working...
Cumulus

Post by Cumulus »

Here is a screenshot from the game in a very early stage :)
As you can see the units have energy bars which will recharge at a predefined rate which can be choosen by the players in advance. This allows the users to choose the game speed so it will be accessible for users who can only access the game a couple of minutes each day.

It really takes tons of programming work to get it working but it looks like everything is possible so I can make it like I want it to be. The biggest challenge will be to make it cheat-proof as most actions can be manipulated in forms or URL commands.
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot