Browser version of Wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cumulus

Browser version of Wesnoth

Post by Cumulus »

Hello,

Last summer I have been playing a browsergame called 'Battle of Wesnoth'. You could login from any computer and even if you can be online for only 10 minutes a day, it was alot of fun to play it.
Unfortunately the website went down, and when they came back online, they didn't offered Wesnoth anymore. Since then I started looking for a similar game and this was how I discovered this website where you can download exactly the same game. I wanted to play it in online multiplayer mode like I did last summer, but my playstyle (login, give orders and do moves, logout and come back next day) isn't really supported because you have to ask the other players to save and reload the game each time. I continued searching for other websites which offer browser based Wesnoth but to no avail. The only game I found that comes somewhat close to it is http://www.warnet.ee .

Does anybody knows browserbased Wesnoth versions like I described above? I've been searching on the forums and found some guys working on browser based Wesnoth versions, but the links were broken or the games were in rts or mmorpg setting in stead of tbs.

I hope what I'm looking for exists on internet. The browser based version I played last summer at least proved that it's possible.

Many thanks in advance for all who can help me out. Now I can only play single player games because I'm only online for short periods each day.
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: Browser version of Wesnoth

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

There's no browser-based wesnoth, and as far as I know there never was...
Unlikely, but are you possibly just thinking of multiplayer? :hmm:
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

A browser version would likely require rewriting a majority of code, and making it compatible with other versions would be nothing short of a herculean effort.

My guess is you were playing a different game.

Also, it could have been possible you were seeing some of the same artwork, as BFW is licensed for GPL.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Battle for Tidestone. The thread title here says it's MMORPG, but it really was a slightly simplified and slowpaced (the "turn timer" was about 1 day per turn) version of wesnoth multiplayer and didn't have any MMORPGy stuff at all.

Making a game that doesn't understand almost any wml other than that which is necessary for compliance with the really "normal" maps, doesn't sound _that_ hard.
Cumulus

Post by Cumulus »

Yes, it was that one: battle for Tidestone :D
Actually it was the summer before last summer that I played that game (didn't look at my calendar properly)

I'm really wondering why they removed Tidestone from the server because I enjoyed that game much more than the Risk version they're offering now. I would even pay subscription fees gladly if they would bring it back online. Hope there are other similar games like Tidestone if they 'll never come back online.

Actually I'm wondering... could the developpers of wesnoth.org add a feature to the multiplayer version where you can set turn timers to 1 day or longer? I'm certainly not the only one who can't be online for hours continuously. Maybe I should put that in the suggestions or ideas forum?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

"Play by Email" is a commonly suggested feature that would address your request for very-lengthy turn counters; it would most likely be a better solution than a server-hosted game with such a turn timer. It's also a "BWH" idea, in that it's been suggested before and met with general approval, but hasn't found someone with the coding skill necessary to implement it who has the time necessary to implement it. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot that can be done to further such suggestions, unless you are a C++ coder or have a friend who happens to be one; most Wesnoth coders are already busy with various feature requests and bug requests, and can't afford to take on additional requests even if the idea in question is universally approved.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Cumulus

Post by Cumulus »

I'm affraid that most email games would be too much text based while I want at least a certain degree of graphics in the game.
However I think I will stick with http://www.warnet.ee for a few weeks which offers enough fun for me to cover this period. Hopefully I will find something really great to play meanwhile.
Games like Travian and Evony would be great too but Travian requieres you to be online 24/24 and 7/7 to make a chance to be competitive. Evony is better, but with the ingame shop it's basicly nothing more than an online auction house where victories are sold to the one who bids the most, or in other words there's no gameplay or strategy in it. Wondering why those succesful games with huge teams of developpers never realise that they screw up their games completely that way :?
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

"Play by E-Mail" here would mean that you play Wesnoth in your normal Wesnoth installation and when you press "End turn", it sends an E-Mail with all necessary information (maybe a savefile) to your opponent, who then can play his turn.

You can do this now by manual saving, sending the save file, receiving and loading it (but you should not play with fog or shroud on, since at least one of you would see the state of the other one).

What would be needed is a integration of the "mail the save file" and "load an ingoing mail" and automatic sending on turn change (without showing the enemies' view). Maybe also some mechanism to avoid cheating by changing the save file.

Paŭlo
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yes, Battle for Tidestone! That's what it was called! I thought it was like Battle For Riverstone or something, until I found out Battle For Riverstone is REAL. Thanks, now I don't have to say "that game that was almost exactly like Wesnoth called Battle for Riverstone or something" when a question like this pops up, or a question about taking the Wesnoth stuff and making something.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

There is already a thread discussing PBEM (Play-by-email) so I suggest carrying on the discussion there. People here don't like multiple threads about the same thing (not that many forums do).

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28664

Welcome to the forums though. :)
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Looks like a good game.
axyd

Post by axyd »

Actually there was such a game (browser based wesnoth implemented in JavaScript, and it was finished and playable), and I also register there and play a little. But I can't remember it's url (if anyone know it please reply, url looks something like sot.xxxxxx.com if I'm not mistaken).

I thing it would be a good idea to collect all such resources (attempts to build browser based Wesnoth ) in one place, here's one:

- http://sourceforge.net/projects/irdya
nicolasstaelens

Post by nicolasstaelens »

As I understand, Wenoth is coded in C++.
Adobe CrossBridge compliles C++ into Flash:

http://adobe-flash.github.io/crossbridge/

That would solve the problem: use the code with CrossBridge and get an online Flash version of Wesnoth! :D
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Cumulus

Post by Cumulus »

Three years have passed since my first post in this topic and I can announce the good news that I learned PHP, CSS and HTML scripting meanwhile. I'm now working on a hex based browsergame using those script languages, which will contain elements from Age Of Empires, Wesnoth and Simcity. You start in the Stone age and advance to Iron age using technologies, and you are able to build stuff, train units and upgrade using wood, food, stone and gold.

Might take a few months before a first beta (limited to Stone Age) comes online but the first tests are looking promising :)