Mr Bigmouth Anonymous.

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Re: Mr Bigmouth Anonymous.

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

:lol2:
Who's great idea, most of the ideas on this thread were great (but would probalby be difficult to program). I wanted to hear of people's ideas that they would probaly never get round to doing. I specified that I was not responisble if someone else "stole" those ideas, so if it was something people thougth they might do, rather don't post it.

You jhonnymarsh should definately not take responsibility for such things. Although I bet you have a great idea or two of your own that you are afraid of someone stealing...?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

(it's a bot)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

shadowmaster wrote:A free/open-source side-scrolling platformer game engine. I had planned to either reuse Wesnoth Wesnoth/Irdya elements (GNU GPL and all) or come up with my own story and content based on my old notes (content would've been proprietary).

I finally dropped the project at the end of 2009.
Maybe you already thought about it, maybe it wouldn't fit your idea since you didn't tell a lot about it, but maybe you could reuse the engine from Frogatto, which is also open-source, and is a side-scrolling platformer. I think they said somewhere they'd be happy to have someone use the code the develop their own stuff.

Anyway, I've had like -tons- of ideas for rpgs in my time. My actual favorite would maybe be some kind of ninja-like rpg where you have, say, 4 heroes between whom you can switch around (much like in FF6's Phoenix cave, for instance), each of them with different field capabilities (say, one can jump, another one can climb, another one throws shuriken or has a grappling hook, last one could push... maybe some other ideas), so that each heroe has to go a certain route and contribute his skill to achieve an objective. Maybe the game should be "timed" for each hero, so that if shuriken-ninja hits a switch in the distance to make a platform appear somewhere at 2:30, well jumping ninja can't jump until it's 2:30. Would make leeway for some pretty wicked timed strategies and stuff. A TBS fight mode would be cool, too, maybe like Toribash (which I have enver played, only read about), or maybe not. Levels should not be predetermined, instead one should use XP to by a variety of points in diverse area, maybe not all combat-oriented. If the game were open-ended, and even better yet if the characters weren't predetermined (for the most part, maybe they'd just have their on-map ability predetermined, but you could select combat styles and starting points, look, etc.), it could be even better. Alternatively, it could also be pretty wicked if it were based on White Wolf's Vampire: the Masquerade then with plain ninjas :) Not sure I can script any of that, though :P
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

(it still might have had some good ideas :mrgreen: )

You know what I would definately have programmed if I had the skill and the mathematical abilities?

an open-source 3D rolling-sphere emulator with an editor and an easy scripting lanugage. I want something which enables you to design your own pinball games as well as making those domino-toppling/crazy scientist's lazy way of opening the door things. I't not really a game so much as an engine which would allow people to make all kinds of things. My brother can program in Java and in C languages, when I asked him what it would take to create such a thing, the answer he gave me dismayed me utterly and I went off to cry.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Maybe you would like that old OLD game that existd for on PCs a while back: The Incredible Machine. It's basically rube Golberg themed puzzles, kinda fun :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Check out ODE (or PyODE seeing as you use python)
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Velldeselba Senki, only with boarding.

That is to say, FPS, but with steampunk airship battles and lots of cannons--duke it out broadside for broadside, or try to get in close, grapple on, and take the enemies' ship by storm.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Zerovirus wrote: That is, every player will be able to purchase or train his own moves out of a pool of preferably a few hundred different ones. The moves will be varied, and once in a while there will be a new pack of moves released. Preferably the new moves aren't told to the public, so that they get a pleasant surprise when they find a new move. That also gives an element of surprise to PvP, because you don't know exactly what moves your enemy will unleash on you, so you have to design your move folder to compensate for any unforeseen events.
That sounds amazing but it would be a nightmare to not only balance it but keep multiple options viable so all the skilled players won't have the same class.

I don't think the unknown moves is a very good idea though because from what I see, mutual ignorance in fighting games just leads to people bullshitting each other with stupid tricks. Unless all the moves were very similar (not fun), not knowing the frame data would make punishing tenuous at best and would propagate an endless parade of bs frame traps and tick throws (unless there are no throws), as well as cheap lows or overheads no one can block on reaction as they've never seen the move before.

Though of course that wouldn't be a problem if you simply made the gameplay really shallow. Or maybe something kinda smashbros-y might work where the game is focused more on spacing than yomi.

But I do really like the idea of making your in character not only visually but in actual gameplay. I think one of the Mortal Kombats did this but in a really broken way, but a balanced one would be amazing.

For me I would want a big open sandbox city where you can go in every building and it is controlled from first person. And there are lots of zombies. Basically there would be a loose series of objectives as well as a plot and some cutscenes, but mainly it would be about looking for supplies and fortifying a building during the day, and either running or defending a building in the night. Multiplayer too.

Or a fighter, but to explain all the intricacies I'd like to put in it would require pages and time that's not really worth the effort now.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

A shopping trolley racing game, micro machine-like view, where you would grab the edge of the trolley thanks to the mouse, in order to motion it. Would love to see that on the Wii, Mr. Nintendo, if you read this. :P
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Blarumyrran wrote:
Ken_Oh wrote:#6 3D turn-based combat. This one is the most pie-in-the-sky idea. The game would look maybe something like Soulcalibur but with a bunch of units on the field. While the game would pause and play out in turns, between the turn markings would play out in real time. Imagine Team A as a dude with a katana and a chick with a knife and Team B as three thugs with clubs of varying size. You, controlling Team A, select your katana dude to drop his sword horizontal with the tip to the right and rush to the left, to the outside of the thugs, slashing forward. You then select the girl and have her dance to the right size, slashing if the enemy gets in range but mostly defending. None of the units move until you (and Team B) have selected their actions and then both sides move at once. Things don't necessarily happen as both sides designate them, but rather the units' attributes, statuses, items, skills and chosen actions all converge, get mixed up, and an outcome gets spit out. If the thug on the left runs right into the katana, it might be bad news for him. If the thug on the right rushes the girl too fast for her to react, it might be bad for her. The key is to see where your own weapons are vs where the enemies' weapons are and try to intuit how to get your weapon from point A to point B without letting the enemy's weapon do the reverse. Yeah, incredibly complicated, totally un-KISS, but I would personally really enjoy the game.
That's Toribash (only 1 person per player, but it's complicated enough)
Just googled it. :shock:
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I tried playing Toribash, really really really hurt my brain. Couldn't get that far because I sucked at remembering which directions to move limbs with muscles.