Wesnoth Tactics: Strategical Cardgame

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kalajel

Re: Wesnoth Tactics: Strategical Cardgame

Post by Kalajel »

Well, most CCGs use a variety of art stock for their cards, I don't see anything wrong with this. Some older portraits are also more "dynamic" and could be used to represent events. And even then, there are still sceneries…

As for teh font, yes, Gentium does look good, but it could get bolded for the card's name and attack's name.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

In particular, there are flavors; Basic and Book Basic.

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... tium_basic

But don’t let me discourage you from finding alternatives.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Kalajel:
Kalajel wrote:Well, most CCGs use a variety of art stock for their cards, I don't see anything wrong with this.
I agree there is nothing wrong with doing that and that most CCG:s do it. I also firmly believe that it's a matter of taste and goal of each particular CCG project to decide on how to mix/mash styles and what appearence a game should have.

You gave me the idea to dig in the campaign art dirs, and I did find some gems in there which I'd love to use, :) even if I'd deem out most of the material.

ancestral:
Yeah, just recently saw them. I think it's Inkscape that has problems with using the ones I had for some reason, while OO handles bold/italics just great. Will try the ones you suggested as well.
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

I have a question, how did you take the main wesnoth map, and lighten it for the background of cards like "Midsummer's Whisper", and others, was it a filter or something? :hmm: If you don't mind, I would like to do that for another project.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

King_Elendil wrote:I have a question, how did you take the main wesnoth map, and lighten it for the background of cards like "Midsummer's Whisper", and others, was it a filter or something?
You can do it in probably any program by adding a layer (let's call it layer 1) above the layer where the map is located (layer 2). In layer 2 you can then just draw a rectangle and use gradient filling. The gradient starts with a light colour but slowly transforms to any other colour that is transparent.

That's how I did it in this case, but to answer your question: Yes, it can probably be done by many filters as well. I just usually avoid using them for stuff that's easier done without out them or when they present little control (crappy ones tend to not offer the user any greater control over their settings, at least not in the only software I work with - Inkscape & GIMP).

Good luck with the map thingie :)
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

jhonnymarsh wrote:We have artwork for at least 60 units thanks to the great and talented artists here in the Wesnoth community and the template is also done.
Actually, it's closer to 120, give or take some. That's about 50% of the cards needed to release a core set. That + that some new art is coming in every now and then that isn't character portraits only.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

eyerouge wrote:
jhonnymarsh wrote:We have artwork for at least 60 units thanks to the great and talented artists here in the Wesnoth community and the template is also done.
Actually, it's closer to 120, give or take some. That's about 50% of the cards needed to release a core set. That + that some new art is coming in every now and then that isn't character portraits only.
Actually, you were talking to a spambot which was merely copying stuff from your first post.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

zookeeper wrote:Actually, you were talking to a spambot which was merely copying stuff from your first post.
Nice. :) Thought it sounded very familiar... :P

Btw, what are the purpose with creating such a bot? Is it to lure people into it's profile, and there have them press it's "homepage"?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

eyerouge wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Actually, you were talking to a spambot which was merely copying stuff from your first post.
Nice. :) Thought it sounded very familiar... :P

Btw, what are the purpose with creating such a bot? Is it to lure people into it's profile, and there have them press it's "homepage"?
It had a link in its signature, so presumably it's intended to either or both lure people to clicking it and possibly also improve the page's ranking in search engines by creating more links to it from other sites.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Updated first post with these below and other info, plus also want to announce we've opened a card gallery.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Wow, this project is coming along nicely!
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

Is there an extra space between "all" and "of" in the rules text for Embrace of Peace?
saiko-chriskun

Post by saiko-chriskun »

dude this is awesome!!

(btw, 'somthing' is incorrectly spelled on the 'helping out' page on the site, just fyi :P)
lea

Post by lea »

Is it possible to play it offline vs Ai or hotseat? (as a computer game, not by printing the cards)
at least by setting up own server?
and while I am at it, is it still in development?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)