Maeglin's Design Point Roundup

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JackBarber

Re: Maeglin's Design Point Roundup

Post by JackBarber »

I wouldn't really say that modern games are BAD, I would just say that they don't concentrate as much on single player things as they used to. Old FPS games were fun and all but Realistic doesn't equal Bad.
There are still plenty of One Man Army type games out there, and if there is squads it's usually just towards the end when there are to many enemies to handle.
Although I miss the whole easter eggs and hidden area things, I'm sure creators of games will eventually start putting them back (2014?).
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Realism isn't necessarily a bad thing, if it's realism for the sake of making things more enjoyable. After all, a 100% surreal game would probably be just as annoying as a 100% realistic one, albeit the surreal one would probably at least be more interesting. What's bad is when realism is given a higher priority than making the game fun or interesting. For that matter, giving anything a higher priority than the priority given to "make game fun to play" isn't going to turn out well.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Stilgar wrote:Realism isn't necessarily a bad thing, if it's realism for the sake of making things more enjoyable. After all, a 100% surreal game would probably be just as annoying as a 100% realistic one, albeit the surreal one would probably at least be more interesting. What's bad is when realism is given a higher priority than making the game fun or interesting. For that matter, giving anything a higher priority than the priority given to "make game fun to play" isn't going to turn out well.
:annoyed: Out of all the nostalgiatards, this one actually gets it.

The bread-and-butter of a videogame is "is it fun to play?".
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well played all 3. You'll love the Duke though. Hail to the King baby. ;)
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Marathon and Pathways where great games and where more realistic then Wolfenstien and stuff they where my favorite for my old Mac OS9 I used spend entire days playing those game I also played decent and A-10 Cuba and F-18 Hornet now those where great.... In-fact I still own all of those games.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I have the problem with realism myself, I usually struggle with the Whys and Hows on any Wesnoth map I create.
(Hang on, wouldn't an intelligent enemy actually do this? Aww man, I broke my storyline!)

If you miss the "One Man Army" effect I would recommend the Serious Sam games that have "Encounter" in their name and Painkiller.
Genocidal fun. Going back in time for a bit, I've played Ultimate Doom and Doom II, I can say both of them had a jump feature, but not crouch. At least not the Windows versions.

Of course, an easy way to escape storyline issues is to play the arena style games. The best thing about those is they generally have an active online community. I mean, imagine what Wesnoth would be like if you could only play co-op campaigns.