my pen and paper role playing game comments welcom

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Re: my pen and paper role playing game comments welcom

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Hello

dipseydoodle I looked at your character sheets, very nice, unfoutunately they do not provide all that much info on how the game works. Just with regards to the sheet, I'd like to know, where it says something like Brawling Parry: would you fill in a number there, or would you fill in something else like "Unknown, Absent, Weak, Poor, Average, Fair, Good, Excelent"? If so, how would this work in relation to the game, if you use the number system, is this a value which you have to try to roll lower than on however many dice, or is it a value you add to your dice rolls or something else, and how do you determine these values? As in if I had a Lifting strength of 10, would I be able to go bowling? Oh, and Other? (please specify).
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

I'll assume you're not familiar with teh d6 system then (the old WEG Star Wars, Xena and Hercules). Basically, you write a number next to the skills which is a pool of d6 you roll. You usually have to beat a Target Number or an opponent's die roll…
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

hanks kalajel for explaining that to midnight_carnival i know not many are not used too using the d6 rules i do not own a handbook but the game is a rpg based of the d6 fantasy by west end games the rules however are a bit deferent the attack defense rolls are the same rules etc
but at the end of every bodies turn you need roll a 12 sided dice to decide what you get to encounter or fight etc kinda like a random enemy exe: you roll 5 and you fight a minotour or you roll a two you fight a giant ant or you find a pile of broken daggers that you can pick up if you don't own a 12 sided dice you can just use a 6 sided dice you can get them at any store, and the amount of ds (in numbers) you place next to the ability is the amount you roll for attempting that ability a example is this you have 4 in heavy weapons and so you roll 4 dice and to start of you already have amount of specific ds human characters start of with 3D in every bold ability which is Dexterity, Perception, Knowledge, Strength, Coordination, and Mastery when you place a number of ds next to those bolded abilities you get you have that number of ds in all of that field of ability

example

Dexterity 3D
(you know have 3D in ever non bold ability below that bolded ability or feild of abilities so though you will need to add Ds to the abilities you will have 3D if you do choose to build to add to the abilities you will have extra ds in just that one specific ability)
example

Dexterity 3D
heavy weapons 2D

(you now roll 5D because you already have 3D in strength plus you have 2D in heavy weapons which is in the strength field of abilities)

to begin your character you start with 300 silver and 1 weapon spear is 2D sword is 2D staff is 2D short bow is 2D and throwing knifes are 1D these are what you roll for damage when attempting to attack

example for a sword spear or staff you would roll the melee ability for the accuracy and then the weapons ds for the damage you roll 2 you do 2 damage and so on and so on

you will also get 5 ds to spend on single abilities such as heavy weapons melee lock picking etc the 5 d you spend will be adding number when rolling

example
strength 3d
combat 1d

3d+id=4d so you roll 4 ds

if you want your character to fight with his fist just roll combat an add 1 dot to the dice to figure out your damage note that this can be used for a very experienced Role Player to add a good difficulty level
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

dipseydoodle wrote:(…) but at the end of every bodies turn you need roll a 12 sided dice to decide what you get to encounter or fight etc kinda like a random enemy exe (…)
Huh? I don't get it, wouldn't that just make enemies pile up on you… Sounds more like a Survival Xtreme simulation than an RPG to me… :hmm:
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

normally you would only use that roll when not in a city or village and must be done in a dungeon and in the wilderness and other battle areas like arenas and battle zone the only time you would be attacked in a village is when a war is between two cities or when it is necessary for a campaign created by the gm
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

here is the new rpg with the fantasy rule book a and a new sci-fi rpg with the rule and character sheets
Attachments
rpg pack.zip
(202.73 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Listen, I know Copperplate is a great font for titles and subtitles… especially for teh sci-fi RPG… but writing the whole rulebook in Copperplate!? Argh! My eyes! :augh:
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Alright. You have a basic story.
Now covince me: Why should I try out your RPG?
What is so special about it?

Also: there is a lot of work to do layout-wise.
Pagenumbers would be a start.
So would be a better, more visible text structuring.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

okay thanks for the replies i didn't think copperplate was that bad, but if you would like it written in something else i will remake it, I'm using appleworks to make the pdfs, for some reason and i don't know why but the page numbering is not working whenever i number the page on just one page it numbers all the pages the same number and it won't let me change it
but i agree with you i will try to change the stuff around and fix some stuff, as of now the storyline is not complete if you have any ideas as to how i can make the game better i would like to know, thanks
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Like I said; okay for titles, sub-titles, and section break, but do use another font for the main text. I know you might want to do different than the usual Times New Roman, but then again, there's a reason why it's a good reading font… If you rally want to try something different, check out Garamond, Baskerville, Bauer Bodoni, Caslon, Century, and a bunch of other fonts with serifs.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

adobe reader did not allow me to save the pdf with any other font but the coperplate so i have made a html file and a mac/windows word file the windows file works with windows 95 to winds XP 2000 the macfile works with the older osx 10s so the file may not work in the latest mac, i will try to write a file using the new word later
Attachments
rule books.zip
(46.16 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

dipseydoodle wrote:adobe reader did not allow me to save the pdf with any other font but the coperplate (…)
You'd probably need Adobe Professionnal for that.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Kalajel wrote:
dipseydoodle wrote:adobe reader did not allow me to save the pdf with any other font but the coperplate (…)
You'd probably need Adobe Professionnal for that.
Or - much cheaper - OpenOffice.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

i have microsoft office 07 so i will be able to update the old character sheets adobe office is too expensive for me i used to have open office but microsoft is good also
thanks.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Thanatos wrote:Or - much cheaper - OpenOffice.
Yeah, that I wouldn't know; I've been looking for the version of OpenOffice that works on Mac OSX 10.3.9 (IIRC it's 2.1.0 or 2.2.0), and it's nowhere to be found on the internet… :(