my pen and paper role playing game comments welcom

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

my pen and paper role playing game comments welcom

Post by dipseydoodle »

This is my pen and paper role playing game

rules are simple

first you select your characters race and descriptions and then give it a name the game is set in a far off mirror universe on the planet earth during the time of knights

then after you select your race you select your class(warrior, fighter, wizzard/mage, shaman, cleric, knight, archer, etc) and choose skills and your weapons as well as gold, silver etc

to play the game you simply roll dice to attempt stuff and fight monsters and cast your magic

things you need is

a GM(or game master)
and about 3 to 4 dice depending on your skills

begin the game by thinking of a goal for a scenario/campaign

then begin your adventure

rules:

begin turn(attack enemies, explore, run/walk, etc)
the limit to what you can do depends on your skills

defend your self(if an enemy is attacking you)

take dropped items(an enemy may drop items when he is defeated NOTE: you need the search skill your skill level is equal in Dice example: if you have 3 in skill you will role 3 dice if you have 3 skill blocking or parry you will roll 3 dice)

talk to other character(plan out a attack plan or plan out what you would like to do next or where you would like to go)

end your turn

feel free to comment on the game ideas would be liked
Kalajel

Re: my pen and paper role playing game comments welcom

Post by Kalajel »

Okay, well, what dice will you use? Is it a "roll over/Beat Difficulty Number" system or is it a "roll under" system? Is it "roll and keep" or "total all dice rolled" system? Etc. I mean right now you gave us rough outlines of your ideas so I'm afraid our input will be a bit limited until we can get our hands on some of your game mechanics…
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Ehm, so where actually is the game?
Did I miss a link or a file?
I just see some totally generic concepts of how RPGs work in general.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

dipseydoodle wrote:and about 3 to 4 dice depending on your skills
This seems like a sane precaution given that it takes some otherwordly skills from the player to handle 5 dice at once!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Thanatos wrote:Ehm, so where actually is the game?
Did I miss a link or a file?
I just see some totally generic concepts of how RPGs work in general.
I agree.

Go into more details because your post was just way too vague...
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
mm_

Post by mm_ »

usually pen&paper RPGs use different dice. from your post, I think you only use 6-sided dice. how do you defend yourself?
otherwise, i think it sounds like Dungeons and Dragons, with more characters and less complicated gameplay.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

mm_ wrote:usually pen&paper RPGs use different dice. from your post, I think you only use 6-sided dice.
Where's the problem with that?
Shadowrun and Heredium are only two examples that come into my mind which actually only use D6. I bet there's more. Also critique on the choice of dice is quite useless unless the system itself hasn't been elaborated beyond some more sophisticated point.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Thanatos wrote:I bet there's more.
Star Wars RPG, GURPS and all of the World of Darkness/White Wolf games uses six-sided dice, exclusively, just to name a few.

I actually prefer this kind of math for tabletop RPGs. I think the Shadowrun system is the best out there.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Top Secret is a favorite of mine though that dosn't stop me from using a large number of house rules.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Having done something similar, I reccomend that you do not try to post your game; rules and character/monster spexx, items, spells, etc... on the forum in your thread. You can attach it as a txt file (I think) or several, or you can pdf it and tgz the pdf like I did. If you want my game (you are free to steal any good ideas I might have had) it might still be arround somewhere or I can send it to you via PM.

I love these pen and paper rpgs, and I'd like to playtest yours, only then can I come back with meaningful comments. A lot of people post these games, we should hang out or something :D . Dragonchampion got his own forum going with something like an online pen and paper rpg -I think, I never got the hang of it and he seems to have vanished lately...
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

bye the way i started playing the d6 fantasy and created this pen and paper rpg as a spin off of it so it does use most of the d6 rules (however i added some of my own and created a custom character sheet)

and you use the 6 sided dies

there are no links this is my own game so this forum is the only source, normaly you play the rpg over email or in person with about 2 to 3/4 people and a gm

and the game is very large so the game can not be explained with every rule on the forum so i will try to make a rule book for the game
Attachments
character sheets.zip
the custom character sheets
(19.86 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Last edited by dipseydoodle on November 7th, 2009, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

oh bye the way the character sheets are made in apple works so you need apple works or something that reads apple work files i also made a normal png format
Attachments
character sheets.zip
png files
(37.89 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

I know about apple works,I have it,but I don't use it because it does not support much formats.You could use GIMP for creating images(well more functions,and if you go little bit deeper in it you can achieve a LOT,there's even textures!)
Anyway,you are only listing a normal pen-and-paper RPG which I played even before you thinked of this...
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

sorry for not saying but i added a png file it is right below the apple work file,i aws also thinking of creating a new rpg system it should go something like this

Name(character name)
race
class(ranged,fighter,mixed,mounted,magic, you can also list a sub class such as pikeman or cross bowman etc)

Hit Points(hp)
manna points(mp)
experience point(till next level)
level(lvl)

abilities(such as crafting, heal, fly etc... such abilities will gained by leveling up or by buying abilities hopefully i will have a list of abilities and stuff)

weapons and items your wearing(if you are using a double handed item only list 1 weapon if your wearing a single handed weapon list either 2 weapons or 1 weapon and a shield or weapon or shield and 1 item or 2 items i'll have a list of weapons, items and damage and other stuff)
example:

sword melee blade 4 dice attack(dice is also known as D for die or Ds for dice)1 handed
shield 2 dice 1 handed

or

torch(item) 2 dice to use 1 handed
net ranged impact 2 dice attack 1 handed (slows)

Bow ranged pierce 2 dice attack 2 handed

fist hand to hand 1 die attack 1 handed
fist hand to hand 1 die attack(can also be used to block 1 die defense)1 handed

rite that on paper that will be your character sheet

Rite this down on paper this will be your item sheet and magic sheet

Items
(1
etc you start with a torch and a weapon either a sword staff or short bow make the sword staff or bow 2 dice as well as the shield if you picked a staff or sword)

armor(do not include shield)

example

leather vest 5% pierce and blade resistance(this will be subtracted from the roll when the gm roles the dice if your are battling non player characters, only the gm plays as them or when one of the players attacks you)
leather gloves 2% pierce and blade resistance
leather belt and boots 2% (resistance is the same as above)
leather hood 1% (resistance is the same as above)

a armor group containing head,hand,foot,body,and and a belt of all the same type will be considered a armor group or full armor and can be bought for the price of all the armor pieces in that group

if armor is deferent or is not a full set the defense is not affected

example

leather boots
steel belt
gold helmet
(this is not a full set or full armor)

or

leather boots
leather vest
(this is not a complete set or full armor)

the shield is the only item you need to roll for defense the armor as mentioned will only subtract a percent from a dice roll

example

the gm rolls a 10 on 2 dice you need to roll over that if you have a shield and roll over it the enemy either misses or you block the attack

or

you are attacked by the other player or gm and and have no shield but have at least 1 piece of armor such as a leather glove that has 1% blade resistance and the enemy has a sword that has a blade attack type and rolls 10 on 2 dice you would subtract 1 percent damage from the roll and you would have 9.9 damage done to you the amount of hp point you start off with would be up to the gm the same applies with the other resistance types

you start with no armor

after you rite that on paper rite this this will be your magic sheet

magic
(1
9 etc)
list the name and the affect magic must be bought to use

affects can be either a temporary resistance or a damage or a heal or summoned monster

if you choose the class of magic you may start with a simple missile attack that deals 1 dice of damage
Lyrax

Post by Lyrax »

Ken_Oh wrote:...all of the World of Darkness/White Wolf games uses six-sided dice, exclusively...
[nitpick]
WoD, or at least oWoD, uses d10's exclusively, not d6's.
[/nitpick]