Widelands

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Widelands

Post by quartex »

Thanks for posting the Wideland link charlieg. It looks like an interesting game, and I was impressed that you had posted a binary for OS X.

However the info on the webpage was rather sparse. It alluded to the fact that the application wasn't playable right now, but didn't provide much info on how to play the game. Anyway idea what are the system requirement are?

I'm asking becuase I tried to run the OS X binary on 10.2.8 and all it just crashed/quit the second after I ran it. I didn't get an error message, it just closed right after trying to open.

Also I can't find any discussion forums on your website. Mailing lists are okay, but I might suggest trying to open up a forum, like Wesnoth has. I have no idea how hard it is, but it might be a good way to encourage discussion and development on the project.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I'm not affiliated with the game, sorry.

You may want to mention the MacOS problems and make the forum suggestion to the Widelands team.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I assumed that since you were advertising the project, you were affiliated with it.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

quartex wrote:I assumed that since you were advertising the project, you were affiliated with it.
Yeah, I should have put in a disclaimer that I'm not. :)

I just linked it for the good of FOSS games!
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
SirVer

Widelands

Post by SirVer »

Hehe,

well, i am responsible 8)
The homepage is terrible outdated, a page with a content management and a wiki is planned, but we do not know how long it will take to go public.

The Game is playable as in bulild 7 (current release) though lots of features, buildings and storyline is missing. The game is looking for artists like mad. Needed are game bobs mostly (up to 110x400 pixels) so if someone is intrested, contact me on pm.

Also, if someone is able to make a hompage with a content management system contact me also.

Thanks for interest
SirVer