Now releasing ECDL - Eli's Collision Detection Library

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Now releasing ECDL - Eli's Collision Detection Library

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I've looked around several times for 2D collision detection libraries, and haven't found anything usable. I don't know if they don't exist, or if I'm bad at finding them, or if they're just hard to spot amongst all the more-glamorous 3D stuff. So, I've ended up writing a bunch of code over the years to implement and optimize 2D collision detection and simulations.

Long story short, I spent last week-and-a-half putting together all the C++ collision detection code I've written for various abortive projects, expanding it and generalizing it, and putting it together it into a library. For lack of a better name, I call it Eli's Collision Detection Library, or ECDL for short. I am releasing it under the GNU GPL, version 3.

I've put up the files at: http://eli.cedarswampstudios.org/ecdl-0.1.tar.gz The HOWTO file explains how to use the library.

I don't have it put together as a proper library with makefiles and pkg-config files and such, just the sources - it'd be nice for someone to help me with that, along with anything else that I'm missing because of my inexperience with assembling libraries.

To anyone who uses it - if you find bugs, definitely tell me! If you find that there are features you'd expect the library to have that it doesn't, definitely tell me - I'm eager to make it more usable.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ask_

Re: Now releasing ECDL - Eli's Collision Detection Library

Post by Ask_ »

I've looked around several times for 2D collision detection libraries, and haven't found anything usable.
http://www.box2d.org/features.html
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Now releasing ECDL - Eli's Collision Detection Library

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Another guy told me about that, too - it doesn't do what I want. The biggest issue, as far as I can tell from its documentation, is that it always does a full physics simulation, while ECDL allows the user to specify exactly what happens on a collision.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.