Favorite freeware game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MCP

Re: Favorite freeware game

Post by MCP »

I went to their forums and in the next version number '0.4' they kept throwing around, it seems combat is well on its way.

edit: In reference to Free Orion.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

MCP wrote:I went to their forums and in the next version number '0.4' they kept throwing around, it seems combat is well on its way.

edit: In reference to Free Orion.
Right. From what I can see, progress on Free Orion has been relatively slow/cautious, but I expect it to accelerate as more core game functionality (read: ship design and combat) is added and the project attracts more developers. Currently, Free Orion is mostly a tech demo; promising, but lacking the fun parts, so it only draws contributors on an intellectual level. Once the gameplay is fleshed out and the fun factor enters, I think Free Orion may end up rivalling Battle for Wesnoth in popularity.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Roarmalf

Post by Roarmalf »

BfW is the king of free games

just started and loving tome4

If you enjoy SNES style RPG's (see: FFVI, Chrono Trigger, etc.) Try the spoofilicious Mardek's Quest I-III http://www.kongregate.com/games/Pseudol ... -chapter-1

Abandonware:
X-COM (run with DOS Box to control game speed more effectively)
Master of Magic (run with DOS Box)
Desertofsounds1

Post by Desertofsounds1 »

So hard to answer but I would go for OpenLieroX. Just caught me right away.
Tapan Kaikki 4:Bloodshed and Little Fighter 2 were fun too.
Also I like dwarf fortress. (even tho I'm too lazy/stupid to learn how to play it well) :eng:
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Spelunky and Iji.
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

I love this game, Orions Belt. Its a turn based space game but plays like a very original chess like game. Its all about 6 moves per player and the ability of splitting units.
http://www.orionsbelt.eu
heres a battle to see how it works:
http://s1.orionsbelt.eu/Battle/Battle.aspx?Id=58418097

The Battalion games, its a flash game, based of another famous turn based game on the gameboys, Advance Wars. Its based on present warfare. Theres Battalion Nemesis, Battalion Ghost, Battalion Vengeance, Battalion Arena and Battalion Skirmish.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/urbansq ... =battalion
http://www.kongregate.com/games/urbansq ... -vengeance
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I think that we've noticed that you like Orion's Belt, given that most of your posts on the forum are plugs for it :P
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

@caphriel :) your right. When I was posting it I was think that.

I found Wesnoth because I was frustrated with the developers of the game I love. I tried and tried that they make it open source but without success. And I do get along with them but they don't believe in open source and the game belongs to a company. So I looked around and still am, for a game similar to Orions Belt and found Battle of Wesnoth.

I do love Wesnoth, the campaigns are excellent. The multiplayer is good but it takes to much time. Thats where Orions Belt is better (but slower, more for casual players), it gives you a time out feature and also you have vacation days. But in all Wesnoth is a excellent game and what the developers did behide it is even better. How it is so open, you can change the game and create new stories. Open source at its best.

But i'm still learning the game but I feel the combat is not as pleasing TO ME that is as Orions Belt. The straight line defense in wesnoth still feels artificial. I'm sorry if i'm offending anyone, this is just my simple opinion coming from another game, and that may be the real problem. I feel Wesnoth needs long range units, I can't understand why a unit that can fire arrows, has to be next to a unit? Why aren't there catapults or giant crossbows or even fireworks (used against elephants)?

I have read the forms about randomness, how it makes it more real, I agree (its just another rule to help plan the right tactics), but how can Wesnoth be real if it has no long range units?

Orions belt has many long range units and also has a feature which makes it the main feature of the game, spliting units. Each unit is like a group of units which multiple there attack and defense, but can than be splited into more units. This is mostly used to make canon fodders (defense with light units) but is also used for many offensive tactics.

This all said, I'm sorry if my comments are a bit like plugging... maybe it is but I think its more about showing other ideas from other turn based games. I would love to stick with Wesnoth (been with Orions Belt about 2 years). I think I can help, and maybe someday developer something for it. In the meantime I'm still learning the game.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Well, if you keep comparing Wesnoth to Orion's Belt, you're going to be disappointed. Wesnoth is not Orion's Belt, and you are apparently looking for an open-source clone of Orion's Belt. You are welcome to create a Wesnoth Era that emulates some of the gameplay features of Orion's Belt, like splitting and range (I think there's already an era or two that does that) as long as you don't infringe their intellectual property.

Wesnoth has ranged units. However, maps and units are abstractions. HAPMA and UAPEB are acronyms you will see frequently in discussion. Another thing you'll probably come across a lot is that balance trumps realism. Wesnoth is balanced the way it is, so changes to make it arguably more realistic are not going to go through to mainline if they damage mainline balance.

And yeah, I was just poking fun at the fact that at the time, 5 of your 6 posts either linked or mentioned Orion's Belt, and the 6th was "Thx" :P
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

@Caphriel yes your right, Wesnoth is very different and very good.

About Eras that have range and splitting, do you have a clue which ones?

I guess I need to find out what HAPMA and UAPEB means

Yes your right, a game to achieve the right balance isn't easy. I do agree that any new rules and ideas should be tested on new campaigns. In the end they may not work so well.

Sorry if theses last post are off topic. And thank you for your help
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Danceman wrote: I guess I need to find out what HAPMA and UAPEB means
Hover the acronyms in Caphriel's post. That's why there are dots below them.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

@crendgrim Thx, but I actually did that, and nothing happened. I'm using Chrome. Will test it with another browser, thx
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I just tested the acronym tag with the latest version of chrome. It worked fine. Try updating your browser. In the mean time, both of them (along with many others) can be found on the wiki.

I don't think there are any eras with splitting, but for range, there is the Ranged Era, by mich, which supports ranged attacks. According to the description, it is complete but not balanced.
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

Seven pages and nobody has mentioned Fiend yet?

The ultimate in Lovecraftesque freebieness for want of real words. Windows only download, but works on WINE.

http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/fiend
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
enchilado

Post by enchilado »

DINK SMALLWOOD!