Favorite freeware game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Skizzaltix

Re: Favorite freeware game

Post by Skizzaltix »

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Alien Assault also has dedicated advertisers! ;)

Contrary to my usual habits, I haven't been playing many free games recently, and I'm actually planning to buy(!) some games in a few weeks. I tried WET, but it always took hours to download all the patches required to get into a game, and then it would lag like crazy anyway, so I gave up.
mattie2009

Post by mattie2009 »

ADmiral-N wrote:What a nice thread! :)

And an opportunity to raise some attention for Iji, which is freeware.
A short discussion snippet from the GameFAQs forums:
Some may think it's blasphemy, but I think this game is better than Cave Story.
Iji is ugly as sin and has very clunky controls. To even compare it to Cave Story's stool is heresy.
Either way, it is definiately worth a try. :)
Ugly as sin or not, Iji has characters that I really liked, A compelling storyline and freaking awesome weapons.
Spoiler:
I would put both of them up on equally high pedestals and say that THESE games are the true meaning of fun.
One has it's own remix project, the other has one of the best final boss themes I have ever seen.
Igginator

Post by Igginator »

Skizzaltix wrote:Unless I'm reading this wrong, Alien Assault also has dedicated advertisers! ;)
Well im no advertiser, just supporting one of the best free games available at the moment and probs for a long time to come :mrgreen:
Seriously though, once you start playing it you wont stop playing, and also today a fan based conversion has turned it into Aliens. You play the marines going through the movie scene basicly, really good.

I have also tried dwarf fortress last night. Playing adventurer and just killing things is really fun.
Chris7mas

Post by Chris7mas »

I'll talk about open-source games, not 'freeware' exactly. Except for BfW, which is just great, I like playing ioQuake3, UrbanTerror, and sometimes Quake 3-based games like OpenArena or Nexuiz. Something I really look forward to is the fact that Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory might be open-sourced, if the company which acquired id Software will agree with it, so we might have a completely open-source game like ET to build upon a great engine (even if it's already kind of old, look at how well the games based on Q3 - 10 years old! - perform).
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
baruk

Post by baruk »

The best flash game I have found on kongregate so far:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/noanoa/elona-shooter
It's a castle defence game (basically space invaders) with RPG and strategy elements.
The author, noa, previously made a roguealike game called elona, worth checking out:
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona_Wiki
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Chris7mas wrote:I'll talk about open-source games, not 'freeware' exactly. Except for BfW, which is just great, I like playing ioQuake3, UrbanTerror, and sometimes Quake 3-based games like OpenArena or Nexuiz.
I like Nexuiz but I find it too fast paced for me, Team Fortress 2 is about as fast as I like to go :D
baruk wrote:The best flash game I have found on kongregate so far:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/noanoa/elona-shooter
It's a surprisingly good game, at first I thought it was bad but then got into the spirit of it :D
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Eskon wrote:ADOM still holds the number one spot in my heart. Battle for Wesnoth, Dwarf Fortress and Iji rank quite high as well.
ZOMG! ADOM FTW! *

Though we have folks who worked on Nethack 'round these parts. You might want to watch your step. ;)

* (sorry, I couldn't resist the acronym fun)
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

http://www.soldat.pl/en/

Soldat is the best free software shooter game ever! :D
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Major wrote:http://www.soldat.pl/en/

Soldat is the best free software shooter game ever! :D
I would like to show you a game that I played for quite a while.

It's much like Soldat in gameplay style. However, it's a flash game; no download. And technically not free'ware'.

The best thing is, the map editor is almost infinitely versatile. I made quite a few dozen maps before I quit; at this point, the forum there has become infested with bots. Just google Smileys War and click on the first link, I think. I haven't been there in a while.
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

Hi I am a new member and this is my first post! :lol2:
Recently I have enjoyed playing assault cube and the Halo demo. Assault cube is a free, fun fps, multi-player game that works well on a mac. The Halo demo is not technically freeware but, it is free to download. There are some limitations to the demo :( , but there are so many mods out for the demo that, it does not seem like a demo at all once you've modded it :D .

Here's Halo;
http://download.cnet.com/Halo-Combat-Ev ... 35611.html

And here's Assault Cube;
http://assault.cubers.net/media/

I use a Mac OSX 10.4.11 and both of these games work just fine :mrgreen: and are also, I assume available for windows.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Cave Story compares very nicely to the commercial games of yore, which I so dearly love.

Eternal Daughter is somewhat buggy and windows only but it's awesome once you get it working right. Plays a bit like Cave Story except a lot harder and a lot longer. I'd argue it's not quite as good, despite better (approximately SNES quality) graphics but that doesn't necessarily stop it from being amazing.

Glider Pro might be worth trying out too. It's not my absolute favorite game but it's nice in comparison to most of the freeware out there.

The only qualifier for freeware is price. Wether The Battle for Wesnoth is freeware or not is dependent on where you get it, but I'd say it qualifies just at least as much as any of the games mentioned above. The devs. don't make any money from its downloads and it's just as readily available as any of the others for no charge. The iPhone version might cost money but meh, that's technically somebody else's project and the game really wouldn't be any more free if the iPhone version simply didn't exist.

Spin Doctor Challenger was technically a demo version of Ultimate Spin Doctor but it wasn't necessarily crippled in any way and had a highly substantial amount of playtime so I'd count it too. Loved playing it on my old Perfoma 6116 CD. Sadly the game seems to be M.I.A.

Also I've heard great things about Yume Nikki, although I haven't played it for myself.

I may have more later if I remember anything else but I thought I may as well throw these thoughts out there for now.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Yume Nikki is very good, but it's not a game you play to complete (or at least, I didn't)--it's a game you play to experience. Just walking around in the trippy landscapes with the throbbing bass going on in the background is enough.

It's even better if you have a large, somewhat flickery screen, and can turn the lights off and the volume up c;

Played AssaultCube for a while, but I found Nexuiz to be a little bit more to my taste, if only because it felt like it had more polish and the public game community (at least, the part of it I experienced) was a lot nicer to folks who were still getting the hang of things. AIs are also much better. The fact that I could join a game right off without having to sit around waiting for custom maps to download helped, too.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Skizzaltix wrote:Yume Nikki is very good, but it's not a game you play to complete (or at least, I didn't)--it's a game you play to experience. Just walking around in the trippy landscapes with the throbbing bass going on in the background is enough.

It's even better if you have a large, somewhat flickery screen, and can turn the lights off and the volume up c;

Played AssaultCube for a while, but I found Nexuiz to be a little bit more to my taste, if only because it felt like it had more polish and the public game community (at least, the part of it I experienced) was a lot nicer to folks who were still getting the hang of things. AIs are also much better. The fact that I could join a game right off without having to sit around waiting for custom maps to download helped, too.
Nexuiz is pretty sweet. Even single player, against bots.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

I just discovered that Death Rally, formerly a shareware game, has been recently re-released as freeware. It's a top down racing game that allows you to shoot, bomb and sabotage your opponents, while upgrading your own vehicle and purchasing dirty tricks from the black market. It's old but still fun.

I also found out that the first three Command and Conquer games have been released as freeware by the owning company and on the official website.

http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic/
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Xkobo, multiple Infocom IF games and rouglikes like Rouge, Agband, Nethack and Crossfire.