What about reviving spacenoth?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cernunnos
Art Contributor

What about reviving spacenoth?

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

just asking,

Would it be worth the work to revive spacenoth, which is dead since long now?

Any thoughts?
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Thanatos

Re: What about reviving spacenoth?

Post by Thanatos »

I don't know what you define as "being worth it" here, but I personally would like to see a finished (or at least somehow playable) version of Spacenoth someday. However, I think the major problem is the arts again?
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

These open-source branch of work are really hard to complete even for an alpha build. Most volunteers are at work for the main version of Wesnoth, not some mod that a few had invented. If there was a professional studio developing wesnoth and they had the resource and time to do this, then by all means they will do it if it is profitable or at least worth the time for the players.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

By telling 'being worth the work', i meant do you find spacenoth relevant, or just some campaign/ era for wesnoth would be better than a complete new game, which would need a complete team, site, server, etc...
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Cernunnos wrote:By telling 'being worth the work', i meant do you find spacenoth relevant, ...
Nobody finds it "relevant", I guess, because otherwise they'd have resurrected it already. Unless only people who don't have the skills to make it a worthwhile mod are the ones who find it "relevant".
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Again, i think the problem here is the sprites and all the artwork. Those will have to be completely redone and built from scratch if it were ever to be a complete and separate game from wesnoth. That would take easily years to be finished with just a few artist, if any that are previously working on spacenoth.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I would love to see a space Wesnoth. Of course, their's an era like that, but its just an era (and in my opinion a seriously flawed one).
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Cernunnos wrote:By telling 'being worth the work', i meant do you find spacenoth relevant, or just some campaign/ era for wesnoth would be better than a complete new game, which would need a complete team, site, server, etc...
Personally, I don't think doubling all the project structure would be worth it. If an era is not good enough, I would recommend a general change in the Wesnoth game policy and make a more clear split between the game engine and the contents (even "mainline"), so that a Spacenoth-mod (including a spacenoth title-screen etc.) could be based easily on the shared Wesnoth "engine". As far as I could tell the engine seems not to be so far away from being capable to be modified like that, but I am no developer, surely there are more competent people to make a statement about this.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I think it would be better to create a Spacenoth campaign first. If it is successful, it may bring new volunteers to project. If it is not... then it is also not worth working on a project no one will create decent content for.

(I mean creating a Spacenoth campaign in current Wesnoth engine. Even if some functionality is missing, you can still replace it with temporary alternative functionality; but the functionality is not limiting you in writing a storyline, drawing pictures, etc.)
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Cernunnos wrote: which is dead since long now?
That is not dead which can eternal lie.

Maintaince of spacenoth would be very hard, unless wesnoth engine will be modifed to be more versatile, which would make it even slower I believe. On the other hand that would create great oppurtinites for wider range of possible UMC.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I really thought spacenoth was cool. However, the "selling point" of it was dreampilot's original art.

If someone else could pick up where he left off, and continue in that vein, it'd be pretty cool.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My big problem with spacenoth was lack of verieity. This applies especialy to terrain but also all the units were spaceships. Now granted it is quite possible to make a wide veriety of interesting spaceships, but I did not find spacenoth to have that.

EDIT: Essentialy there was not enough to make me prefer playing it to normal wesnoth or one of its eras.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."