Appropriate licence for free tilesets?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lendrick

Appropriate licence for free tilesets?

Post by Lendrick »

I'm looking for some advice on how to license graphics, particularly sprites or tilesets, so that other people could use them (particularly in open source projects, but also in commercial projects as well). Please forgive my ignorance of software licensing, but I'm looking for something that would allow for the following:

* Commercial and non-commercial use
* Explicitly compatible with the GPL and LGPL
* If changes are made to the tilesets, those changes must be released under the same license.

Essentially, I'm looking for an LGPL-type license that applies to graphics. Does the LGPL work in this case, or would I need to use something else?

Thanks,
Bart
http://opengameart.org
Free, legal art and sound for free/open source video games.
VS
Translator

Re: Appropriate licence for free tilesets?

Post by VS »

It's a tough call, but public domain solves any problems forever…
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

Lendrick wrote: * Commercial and non-commercial use
* If changes are made to the tilesets, those changes must be released under the same license.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

This is as close to GPL compatibility as you can get. It's impossible to be GPL compatible unless there is something equivalent to source code and you make it available along with artwork.
"meh." - zookeeper
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

sorry for maybe being a bit offtopic but i'm doing a little hobbycoding and looking exactly for what u describe there ...
may u point me some hint where to get those ( or similar licensed ) graphics/tilesets? ( if they already exist ... )
-- ^ --
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Lorbi wrote:sorry for maybe being a bit offtopic but i'm doing a little hobbycoding and looking exactly for what u describe there ...
may u point me some hint where to get those ( or similar licensed ) graphics/tilesets? ( if they already exist ... )
Try This site or this search.

I'm not sure how it was generated, and it is certainly not all inclusive, but this page has a diagram of how images are shared between projects.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity