RuneScape

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor
Posts: 1700
Joined: December 7th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by Blarumyrran » May 11th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Shadow Master wrote:
AI wrote:Don't! I myself played runescape for about 3 hours (someone tried to get me to join in on a project to make a game "just like that one", 3 wasted hours later I decided to ignore his future gamewriting plans for a couple years), but managed to stay away from all the other crap out there.
The more you hear "everybody does/uses/whatever X", the more you should stay away from it, especially if that's it's primary advantage over "all the those other things". People are stupid, especially in masses. ;)
1UP
i disagree a bit. one thing, when talking of software, the more people use the same thing (eg the same text editor), the more easier their interaction will be (eg openoffice will mess up some things when opening a doc; when both use word or openoffice, theres no problem; but as really massively more people use word, its imo better to use word too). also, larger/popular projects often mean better technical support. and small projects sometimes carry the risk of being trojans/viruses/pyramidschemesofsomesort (eg the relatively-unknown wikiupload may seem a really utopian site in terms of limits, while rapidshare is way more popular... until i googled "wikiupload" and found out it has malware). less-used alternatives also get abandoned more often by devs, which means you have to migrate to another program/site/whatever, which will be annoying. on the other hand, malware is also more focused on exploiting the popular choices, yes... but still the above reasons are imo good enough not to choose less popular choices just for "not going with the masses".

AI
Developer
Posts: 2394
Joined: January 31st, 2008, 8:38 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by AI » May 11th, 2008, 11:04 pm

"Not going with the masses" is a bad reason for not doing something, but the opposite is generally worse. You should inform yourself as to what the options entail.


Note that the problems with doc (and it's successor, OOXML (docx)) are because it's a secret format. PDF has dozens of readers and writers, with hardly any incompatibility problems, because it's an open standard. (OOXML may claim to be an open standard, but it's not only HUGE, it also contains tons of things like "autospacing like word95", which are microsoft secrets)

As for wikiupload, you should ask yourself what people have to gain by creating a site or service, as while the web may be relatively cheap, it's not costless.
-Rapidshare makes money by advertising and premium accounts
-Google does tons of free stuff, but you're not their customer, advertisers are
-Wikiupload didn't seem to have any ads or other ways to make money, which is a good reason to be suspicious. (and to run noscript, I can go there and NOT have trouble)
-Wikipedia is run off donations, which works a lot better than the above, as text is a lot smaller than massive files.

Wikiupload doesn't seem to be a wiki in any way anyway, just riding the good name.

I can't find anything other than suspicions about wikiupload btw, and a google search for wikiupload and malware returns this thread as the first result. (and of course there will be malware on an upload site, the question is will they inject it into other files or try to use javascript to infect your computer)

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor
Posts: 1700
Joined: December 7th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by Blarumyrran » May 12th, 2008, 6:39 am

well this is the site i happened upon from google that time: http://www.stumbleupon.com/urlarchive/1 ... pload.com/
apparently they didnt use the word "malware".
AI wrote:Note that the problems with doc (and it's successor, OOXML (docx)) are because it's a secret format. PDF has dozens of readers and writers, with hardly any incompatibility problems, because it's an open standard. (OOXML may claim to be an open standard, but it's not only HUGE, it also contains tons of things like "autospacing like word95", which are microsoft secrets)
why should i as a common user care about whose fault it is that docs are non-compatible with other programs? for all i care, they simply are. and id use pdfs if Acrobat was free and as often-used as word, but it isnt; i like doing last-minute edits, and when eg i have to submit an essay to school, then i want to be able to read through it once in school computer too and fix some things, so Reader wont cut it. is it the problem of the school? maybe, but again i wont be anyone to change it, so ill take the easy path of the doc.

AI
Developer
Posts: 2394
Joined: January 31st, 2008, 8:38 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by AI » May 12th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Well, maybe because by not caring, you are continuing the problem?
If you want an 'easy' path, use notepad and save your stuff as text or rich text files. ;) (I'd suggest ODF, but microsoft is adamantly refusing to add support for it. Also, you'd be suprised what Rich Text Format can do)

Anyway, we weren't discussing file formats, we were discussing how to pick file formats and other things. My stance was to not blindly jump on the bandwagon but look around and see if there's stuff that fits your purposes better.

User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: RuneScape

Post by Elvish_Pillager » May 14th, 2008, 12:14 am

Word itself can save as RTF.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

User avatar
cool evil
Posts: 244
Joined: September 13th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by cool evil » May 15th, 2008, 11:28 pm

Anyway, we weren't discussing file formats, we were discussing how to pick file formats and other things. My stance was to not blindly jump on the bandwagon but look around and see if there's stuff that fits your purposes better.
Last time i checked, we were talking about runescape :roll:
Have no fear, Vlad is here!

AI
Developer
Posts: 2394
Joined: January 31st, 2008, 8:38 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by AI » May 16th, 2008, 1:16 pm

Ah, right, please continue. :D

michchar
Posts: 77
Joined: March 21st, 2008, 8:29 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by michchar » May 16th, 2008, 10:05 pm

i played rs over the summer, then quit. i dont really like it because
1. the graphics were bad (they werent bad as in the developers didnt have enough skill, but rather they didnt put in any effort)
2. the people on there were pretty nasty
3. quests were repetetive
4. items were repetetive
5. no thinking involved (all you had to do to become successful was to play alot and pay real money)
6. extremely luck based
7. no thought put into it
8. just another random point and click game
9. resembles WoW (i hate that game as well)
10. pay $5 a month for membership when you can just pay 4.80 for game tap and get ~300 awesome games!!?!?!?!?!
11. Community was pretty horrible (as in, jerks)
12. need to pay money to post in a forum
13. everyone who played it thought they were cool
that and more

User avatar
cool evil
Posts: 244
Joined: September 13th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by cool evil » May 19th, 2008, 6:31 pm

michchar wrote:i played rs over the summer, then quit. i dont really like it because
1. the graphics were bad (they werent bad as in the developers didnt have enough skill, but rather they didnt put in any effort)
2. the people on there were pretty nasty
3. quests were repetetive
4. items were repetetive
5. no thinking involved (all you had to do to become successful was to play alot and pay real money)
6. extremely luck based
7. no thought put into it
8. just another random point and click game
9. resembles WoW (i hate that game as well)
10. pay $5 a month for membership when you can just pay 4.80 for game tap and get ~300 awesome games!!?!?!?!?!
11. Community was pretty horrible (as in, jerks)
12. need to pay money to post in a forum
13. everyone who played it thought they were cool
that and more
I agree with most of the things you said, but i don't think you realized that runescape is getting a complete graphics makerover(something i've been waiting for over 3 years now), everything right now is about 2.5d(doesn't qualify to be 3d with its crappy java graphics), but the new update will renovate every look of runescape to make it look something like the image below.
Attachments
image_of_the_future.jpg
Have no fear, Vlad is here!

michchar
Posts: 77
Joined: March 21st, 2008, 8:29 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by michchar » May 19th, 2008, 8:54 pm

ok, the background looks better, but no effort on the people...still as crappy as ever
(havent played for like 2 years)

User avatar
Cuyo Quiz
Posts: 1777
Joined: May 21st, 2005, 12:02 am
Location: South America

Re: RuneScape

Post by Cuyo Quiz » May 23rd, 2008, 9:10 pm

Hmmm, i may need to check this. I've been searching for simple, real-like grit rendering in a game. It's the only thing keeping me from an MMO with sugar clothing (it can be well done, but ALL the time?).
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004

Life after Death
Posts: 5
Joined: August 9th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by Life after Death » August 9th, 2008, 4:50 pm

u guys suck if u hate rs, it's better than GW or WoW, so go play that [censored] GW or that gay game u like, u stupid 10 year olds :eng: i've been played 4 like 6 years now n' i have 99 in all skills besides summonin, that's how kool i am 8) n' the new graphics these r pics i posted on this other forum i go on k?

Image
Image

User avatar
Peter the Great
Posts: 296
Joined: August 9th, 2008, 5:08 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by Peter the Great » August 9th, 2008, 5:39 pm

First of all, Runescape is a stupid game that I'm ashamed to say that I have played for 2 years, AND being one of those jerks that just goes around doing stuff for items to sell In the world one Varrok bank was it?

Second, the Improved graphics still aren't nearly as good as even wesnoth in my oppinion.

Third, Have you seen what it does to some people that are even worse then what I was?

EDIT: 5 months later, I look back at my first post on the Wesnoth forums. :D
Last edited by Peter the Great on November 28th, 2008, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.

User avatar
cool evil
Posts: 244
Joined: September 13th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by cool evil » August 9th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Life after Death wrote:u guys suck if u hate rs, it's better than GW or WoW, so go play that [censored] GW or that gay game u like, u stupid 10 year olds :eng: i've been played 4 like 6 years now n' i have 99 in all skills besides summonin, that's how kool i am 8) n' the new graphics these r pics i posted on this other forum i go on k?
Flaming others isn't the solution for coexistence, i believe that most if not all MMORPGs have some good gameplay value in them, however they differ in terms of game mechanics and as such will not cater to all gamers alike.

P.S: you should be ashamed of yourself for lying, it doesn't take an idiot to know that let alone using it to fool us into thinking that you have achieved level 99 in all skillz besides summoning. From your screenshot it shows that you have 72 health, 25 summoning and 46 prayer.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!

Life after Death
Posts: 5
Joined: August 9th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Re: RuneScape

Post by Life after Death » August 10th, 2008, 2:47 am

that's my noob acc lol

Post Reply