"Fantasy Wars"

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freddf

"Fantasy Wars"

Post by freddf »

Yesterday I went to a friend's place and he showed me this game. It reminded me of BfW. We didn't spent much time with it, so I wanted to know if somebody on this forum played it and how far the similarities with BfW go?
Lorbi

Re: "Fantasy Wars"

Post by Lorbi »

Is that "fantasy wars" a board game or a computer game? Are there any resources on the internet?
-- ^ --
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

freddf wrote:Yesterday I went to a friend's place and he showed me this game. It reminded me of BfW. We didn't spent much time with it, so I wanted to know if somebody on this forum played it and how far the similarities with BfW go?
May be, it's "Fantasy General"?
freddf

Post by freddf »

mihoshi wrote:May be, it's "Fantasy General"?
Lorbi wrote:Is that "fantasy wars" a board game or a computer game? Are there any resources on the internet?
It is a computer game and I got the name right. I have trouble to find information about it too, that's why I ask here. There is a small article in wikipedia and links to official websites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Wars
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

Screenshots don't make me feel much like wesnoth.
-- ^ --
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Lorbi wrote:Screenshots don't make me feel much like wesnoth.
Me neither. It looks like ten million other Warcraft 3 clones...
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

It's really a turn-based hexagonal strategy. I haven't played it myself, but heard people using words "like Wesnoth" describing it:)
freddf

Post by freddf »

mihoshi wrote:It's really a turn-based hexagonal strategy. I haven't played it myself, but heard people using words "like Wesnoth" describing it:)
Precisely. Don't get fooled by the 3D look of the characters and terrain. They move and fight on hex tiles, but, as far as I could see, archers can shoot across a tile. There seems to be penalties/advantages for the terrain too. All this feels like BfW with a 3D interface. Unfortunately my machine is too weak to fully appreciate the demo, and I could not get my hand on the manual (if it explains anything, that's it).
I'm a bit surprised that nobody knows about it on this forum, or perhaps the people who know don't visit the off-topic forum?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

It looks like Wesnoth 2.0, lol....

I wonder if the units must always fight to the death when they attack another hex, or they can retreat back after the combat animation?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
freddf

Post by freddf »

Sapient wrote:I wonder if the units must always fight to the death when they attack another hex, or they can retreat back after the combat animation?
From the little I saw, yes, they can retreat and heal and not only in villages. Also, it seems to be unit/squad based, so your hero is one unit, but archers, or swordsman can be many on the same hex. Don't know about larger units, such as ogres. There is also a neat feature in the interface that when you zoom out, small individual units are replaced by one enlarged representation on each hex. This allows going from strategical to tactical view on the same screen.
Sapient wrote:It looks like Wesnoth 2.0, lol....
So there is a secret developer's agenda with a 3D interface :mrgreen:

-- update --
Was to my friend's place again this week-end. He is on the last mission already :shock:
He showed me some more game mechanics. The units can attack, rest (if there is no adjacent enemy units), recruit (if in villages/castles), cast (at any distance), or move. Archers (and other units with ranged attacks) shoot over 1-2 hexes and have a "cover" function, when they shoot on enemy unit attaching a friendly unit standing next to them, but only once. Units level up 5 times, heroes 10. There are different unit upgrade trees for each race. Units have ZoC and the terrain add bonuses/penalties to attack/defence.
I found the game manual on this page: http://eurogamer.metaboli.co.uk/MetaGam ... ct_id=5217. It gives some more details on game mechanics, but no unit stats.
From what I read on the internet, the main challenge is from limited amount of turns you have to complete the mission and overwhelming enemy numbers, so the AI is no better than in BfW.
Last edited by freddf on April 22nd, 2008, 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
BBD

Post by BBD »

Nice find Fred, looks pretty interesting. Think I'll try the demo.
Trau

Post by Trau »

I hate the original poster with such a fury... :evil:

I promised myself not to spend any money on gaming around when I discovered Dwarf Fortress (sorry, Wesnoth :P)... but now I may just have to buy this game. :annoyed:
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

I don't like the 3D, looks terrible, flat but not flat.
Wesnoth is ... ehm ... well, nicer, not too complex, free of course, big but not too.

Maybe this is partly because my computer crashed a lot with 3D games.
(I hope wesnoth doesn't turn 3D)
Last edited by idanwin on May 13th, 2008, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Idanwin
Life is short, I can make it even shorter...
Gallery ~ Contrib:Idanwin (21)
suiraCLAW

Post by suiraCLAW »

Played it. Can be best compared with a mix of fire emblem (your fighters are just as important), advance wars (play style) and warcraft (setting) in a hexagon game field. That said, it's actually quite good.

good points:
+ challenging (same difficult level as wesnoth)
+ the strategy and tactics you use is important
+ everybody gains experience and can develop in a semi-unique unit
+ good rest system
+ good gold system
+ tons of side quests

bad points:
- repetitive mission goals (similar to wesnoth)
- repetitive strategy (weaken enemy with archers, siege and scouts, charge with heroes and knights, place tanks in front, rince & repeat)
- human and orc race are almost identique
- stereotype
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Completely out of curiosity, how does the combat system in this game work? How much randomness does it have compared to Wesnoth?
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming