TripleA - Axis and Allies

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Darth Jordius

TripleA - Axis and Allies

Post by Darth Jordius » January 21st, 2008, 4:38 pm

I'm sure many of you are familiar with Axis and Allies, a TBS game made by Hasbro brothers. Well, since the classic A&A I grew up playing (and still play) is no longer being made. Instead Hasbro has opted for A&A Europe and A&A Pacific. These are not nearly as fun as the whole world map, but fortunately there is a free alternative. http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki

This comes with the original map as well as quite a few others. The XML is quite easy to manipulate and maps are pretty simple as well. I have made a World War I map and it took about three days to fully complete. Most of the maps also have optional rules, so be sure to check those out. I'll bet a lot of you like playing warlike TBS games, :roll: so I thought I'd spread the word and advertise it. There is still a weird problem about ending the game, apparently on SP there is no real way to win, you just have to exit after beating the crap out of AI. I'd suggest trying to play it online or else giving your enemy an advantage, because once you're good you never lose to AI.

One or two maps have used to have small bugs in them, but I just downloaded the latest stable so it may be fixed. If you find one please report it to the developers. This game is almost as addictive as Wesnoth, but it doesn't have the dev community BfW does. Maybe some of you guys can help out too! Though I don't want to steal any of you completely...
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk » January 21st, 2008, 4:42 pm

I tried this game once, but I did not like the interface, which seemd much more clunky than accualy playing the board game. I agree it's a pity that they choose to stop printing the origional version.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."

Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius » January 21st, 2008, 5:39 pm

Have you tried since 0.9.x came out? It's much better than it used to be, but not everyone likes the same things. The reason I love it is because you can always find opponents for it. But how often does someone sit down with you and play a full game? Let alone the four other people necessary to make the board game very interesting.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk » January 21st, 2008, 6:35 pm

I live within reach of CABS (columbus area boardgaming society) and if I feel like playing the group has over 100 members so I can ussualy find enough people who want to play. Though ussualy I prefer to play other games.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."

Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius » January 21st, 2008, 6:58 pm

Velensk wrote:I live within reach of CABS (columbus area boardgaming society) and if I feel like playing the group has over 100 members so I can ussualy find enough people who want to play. Though ussualy I prefer to play other games.
Oh man, I'm so jealous. Any decent nearby apartments under a couple thousand a month?

Edward V Riley

Re: TripleA - Axis and Allies

Post by Edward V Riley » April 18th, 2008, 6:05 am

Axis and Allies was made into a RTS a few years back. I didn't like it that much because you could have Tiger 2 tanks in the opening battles. They didn't make it authentic enough.

The board game has been made into several versions for PC. I've one installed on mine. It plays just like the board game, plus you have options to change some of the rules, like not having Russia move first. I'll bet, if you looked hard enough, you might find a free download of one of the "like the board game" versions online. It's a pretty old game.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows

Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute » April 18th, 2008, 2:32 pm

tripleA is worth looking into if you are an A&A fan. It is quite functional, and has many of the spinoff games, as well as the current (revised) game and the older rules (classic) game. There are also "low luck" mods, which I am not a big fan of, but if you didn't like that about the original, then go have a look at tripleA.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."

Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen » August 31st, 2008, 12:54 pm

The AI in TripleA is pretty weak (nothing like Wesnoth). Especially, it doesn't know how to handle naval battles at all and doesn't buy ships other than transports. I guess anyone with decent Java skills and some spare time could improve a lot there.
Fortunately, there are usually enough people in the online lobby, so it never takes very long to find a game.

davidshq

Post by davidshq » July 17th, 2009, 9:52 pm

TripleA continues to improve. I think its pretty decent these days.
Dave.