The art of my new game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SteelP

The art of my new game

Post by SteelP »

Well, I posted this here because in the ideas section it doesn´t fit, and as it is going to be based on Wesnoth... I hope it doesn´t bother anyone. Anyway, only a topic like this from 6 pages dedicated to Wesnoth art I think it's not too annoying.

Ok, here come two preliminary images; please, give advice or criticize
Dacyn

Re: The art of my new game

Post by Dacyn »

SteelP wrote:Well, I posted this here because in the ideas section it doesn´t fit, and as it is going to be based on Wesnoth...
these images are definitely unWesnothish; I don't see how it would matter that the game will be based on Wesnoth if the discussion is about graphics. You know, there is a section called "Game Development"...
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

My first though is that the images need more contrast.

And yeah, this thread probably belong in the "Game Development" section.
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

Well, it's not a new game, it's a mod of Wesnoth (it uses the same engine and most of the units and races in Wesnoth) with unwesnothish art.

So, as a mod, I think this is the place they fit in

More contrast... you mean more different colours? Yes, in the second, It's hard to see what's the face and what's the helmet... any ideas for different combinations of colours?
As the background is going to be dark green, dark brown, dark blue or white, most probably the colour of the robe of the first image should be white, or blue (not dark blue).

Ah, and thanks for your answer!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

1) I don't care what you say, it is not a mod. ;) it is a new game with completely new rules. :)

2) More shading. 2 shades per hue is not enough. And you shouldn't keep them so separated... it doesn't look good at all. Mix them up.

3) They are too saturated, IMHO... Make them more grey.

4) Outlines are definitely necessary.Black doesn't look good, and you should try not to have really bright shades next to outlines, but you should add darker shades and use them as the borders.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Whether this is discussion over art for Wesnoth, art for a mod of Wesnoth, or art for a different game, I think it should all go here. This is the forum where people discuss artwork, so as long as the artwork is somewhat related to the world of Wesnoth, this seems more appropriate than other forum.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

more points-

5) the anatomy of the archer looks really wierd. I am almost sure you can't shoot a bow like that. And there is a straight line going up his left side.

6) the plume of the archer's helmet is going the wrong way. It should be swept to the back, not the front.

7) the soldier looks like he is holding his shield wrong. I'm not an expert, though, so i might be wrong (and experts can be wrong, too. ;) )

8 ) the soldiers right elbow (holding the spear) looks like it is in front of the body, not behind, as it should be.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Although we have some skilled artists here, perhaps you would get better feedback on an art-specific website?

E.g. http://pixelation.cjb.net ?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

I have fixed the colours. Sorry, I don´t know how to enlarge an image without it looking ... this bad. I mean, when I zoom it, it looks ok, but when I enlarge it (it's the only way I know to post these bigger images), this is the result. Any advice about enlarging images(Gimp2.0)?
I also added the original.

Dave, I badly need advice about my designs, and if this forum stays here nobody will see it or at least enter in it, just because it seems nobody comes over here as often as I need (it happened also when it was in ideas); also I'm not going to make more forums on this subject, when the proyect advances a bit I'll make it a webpage.
I know you think this doesn't have anything to do with Wesnoth and it can only be damaging to your project by some artists joining this mod (quite strange). But if it gets finished, I think Wesnoth and this version-NewGame-mod-howYouWantToCallIt would attract more people than just Wesnoth alone, and most of those people would like Wesnoth too.
So, please, change it to art, if not there are high chances of this project dying at it's first stages.
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

Ah, and thanks for the url, very interesting, surely I will learn a lot from them, but I don´t think they would understand my (quite bad) half an hour drawings of 100x100 pixels :(
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

5) the anatomy of the archer looks really wierd. I am almost sure you can't shoot a bow like that. And there is a straight line going up his left side.

6) the plume of the archer's helmet is going the wrong way. It should be swept to the back, not the front.

7) the soldier looks like he is holding his shield wrong. I'm not an expert, though, so i might be wrong (and experts can be wrong, too. )

8 ) the soldiers right elbow (holding the spear) looks like it is in front of the body, not behind, as it should be.
5,6. Yes, you're absolutely right, the archer is really bad, I'm going to make it again.
7. Why?
8. I "slimmed" his elbow, and made it darker, what do you think now?

I'm really thankful about your advices, go on, please!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

SteelP wrote:7. Why?
8. I "slimmed" his elbow, and made it darker, what do you think now?

I'm really thankful about your advices, go on, please!
7. Its hard to explain... and i bet its fine anyway. So never mind.

8. I think the problem is with the way the cloth appears to fold. You have a line going SW 45*, and a line that starts 1" from the bottom going NW 45*. You need to have it the other way; a line going SW 45*, and a line that starts at the tip and goes in both directions going both NW and SE 45*.
I don't think i explained that very well... :(
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

1st tip: Pick a light source and draw shadows and hightlights acording to it,
2nd tip: Dont be afraid to use contrast specter (from hight to low "Value" values)- Your monitor could have wrong calibration (too old or bad settings so checking the numbers is better than just picking the colours by hand (or eye)

3rd tip: To resize a image without pixel interpolation in Gimp seach under File->Preferences->Tool Options (menu in tool windows) select none or nearest neighbour .
4th tip: Sample images, I just changed mostly the breatplate, changed colours to make leather more leathery and brass more brassy, Darkend and desaturated the chainmail a bit too.
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

Very good, by far better than mine!

I like the lights, and the new volumes (¿volumenes?) of the armour (except the abdomen, I wanted it the other way, but this would look better to most people), but the chainmail ... is green?! or you see it blue, I don´t know... what colour was the first chainmail I did (cause you said my screen could have some "problems")?

Ah, other question, why I can see any image from the art section and I can´t see anything in here if I don´t register???
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

Turin

7. Yes, I understand what you say about the shield, and I think that you are right, but I also think that it looks better this way :wink:

Well, about the detail of it's arm, I haven´t decided yet if this is the final version or just a prototipe for you to give me advice, anyway I just want to finish the art and the game as quickly as possible, so more people get in the project... By the way, it's not too bad, is it (the one of Francisco, of course :wink: )?