I made a game but it gets boring fast.

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lorbi

I made a game but it gets boring fast.

Post by Lorbi »

The title tells tou everything ^^
I made a little game but it gets boring very fast. I have no idea how to make it more interesting for longer time.
So i would be glad if you hav a idea.

Game is aviable here:
english version: http://www.lorb.cwsurf.de/python/lettergame_en.py
german version: http://www.lorb.cwsurf.de/python/lettergame_de.py

Since it is a python script an makes use of curses it requires Python and curses.
The file also has to be a executable.
There are no graphics .. its a consolegame.

Dunno if it will work with Windows. Don't have one to test.
Feel free to do anything with it. It's GPL.

ps: excuse my english, i am not native speaker
Fyrion

Post by Fyrion »

Hey it's pretty nice and simple, the things that should be changed:

-Is pretty slow when it comes to response the commands or maybe is a problem of the terminal emulator, have you considered to port it to a GUI? (I could help you to port it to GTK, I know only a little of Python but maybe I can help, or maybe you could use PyGame) .

- There should be more combos and special things

Oh, a while after I started writing this I got an idea so I've made a little hack to change the rules(now it is a numbers game), now it scores when two numbers sum 10. I don't know much python, and I didn't fully understand your code so it has many errors :P.
Attachments
numbergame_en.py.bz2
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

I am not sure what you mean when you write "pretty slow response the commands"
When i hit a key the game reacts immedialty. Except it can't.
- the dropping piece goes down line per line. when you want it to go left it will dissapear in the current line and appear shiftet one space to the left. But only one time per row it goes down.
- there is some kind of a "bug" when you continously hold down a key. If i press down the key to shift it right for say 3 seconds this end up in being many times a shift to tthe left. so: the tile dropping moves to the left every row it droppes down until it finiseh its travel. but there may be commandos left so the next tile also shifts left in every row. until the number of commandos that you feed the game is reached. ( holding 3 seconds may end up in abou 25 times )

I am already thinking of prting it to a GUI but that is above my ( current ) skills. One of my next steps will be learning how to do this. Since i use KDe it is more likely i use qt for that.

Agree that there should be more combos, but:
when i made my mind about how to implement them everything that came to my mind would have violated KISS in a way of which i think makes the game bad

last but not least:
i really like the idea with the numbers. that is exactly something i looked for. not violating KISS but giving a c00l feature to the game.
Fyrion

Post by Fyrion »

Lorbi wrote:I am not sure what you mean when you write "pretty slow response the commands"
I think is a problem with the terminal emulator not rendering fast enough, however this would be solved using a gui.

I'm glad you liked the numbers idea, it would be neat if also the sum was for the latest numbers which do not pass the limit

ie:

you have a row that is

5+6+4+3+3

5+6 would not count as it passes 10, 4+3+3 would be a score. (I explained it with the example because my english is not that good :P)

Anyways the kid of this thread won't like the numbers game :P

Oh and if you plan to go further with the development of this game you should use OOP and it will be a lot easier to extend.