EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF OPEN SOURCE GAMES

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

irrevenant wrote:So what we need is a site for "Viliam's favourite Free games"? :)
Well, that's what I need. ;-) But a solution for more people could be like this: A site with list of many games, listing some important attributes of those games. You can register and create your own database query reflecting what kind of games you like. Then you will be notified by e-mail or RSS when a new entry matching that query appears. Something like freshmeat, but instead of specific softwares user would subscribe to all programs/releases matching his query.
irrevenant wrote:BTW, were you familiar with the Advanced Search? It can at least filter out the closed source stuff for you.
Thanks! I did not notice that. I just wish there were some more criteria. for example: "Has a stable release"

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Viliam wrote:
irrevenant wrote:So what we need is a site for "Viliam's favourite Free games"? :)
Well, that's what I need. ;-) But a solution for more people could be like this: A site with list of many games, listing some important attributes of those games. You can register and create your own database query reflecting what kind of games you like. Then you will be notified by e-mail or RSS when a new entry matching that query appears. Something like freshmeat, but instead of specific softwares user would subscribe to all programs/releases matching his query.
The Linux Game Tome are in the process of redesigning their ratings system, and presumably their interface. Now would probably be a good time to weigh in with what features you'd like to see.

Certainly more sophisticated filtering would be good.

ugasoft

Post by ugasoft »

I didn't find my favourites (after BfW):

Cube - Sauerbraten

and the "coming soon" Eisenstern, all by aardappel!

and, obviously, GPL and Multiplatform ;)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

ugasoft wrote:I didn't find my favourites (after BfW):

Cube - Sauerbraten

and the "coming soon" Eisenstern, all by aardappel!

and, obviously, GPL and Multiplatform ;)
They're certainly on the Linux Game Tome.

It's presumably been excluded from the Wikipedia list because not all content is Free...

charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I'm gonna pimp my site here: Free Gamer
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

charlieg wrote:I'm gonna pimp my site here: Free Gamer
Very handy. I'd not heard of Widelands before.

And it's nice to know Pingus is up and running again...

DDR

Post by DDR »

Bless This Link! So helpful... :D