Widelands arts - help appreciated

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

yannoo

Widelands arts - help appreciated

Post by yannoo » June 15th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Hi there,

I'm posting under my responsibility only (so flame me if you want), to say that considering the enormous amount of quality art work that has been done for Wesnoth in the recent months, you might have gathered a pretty impressive artists force, which might now be a bit idle because the graphics have reached a very nice level already.

So, *just in case* some of you are looking for the same kind of occupation, the Widelands game project is lacking a few good hands to make it more beautiful. Basically, it is a Settlers clone and it needs small 3D buildings designs, trees, textures, people, sounds, etc.

So if you want to have a look and give a hand, feel free to come around the wiki:
http://wiki.widelands.org/tiki-index.php

The game is playable under Linux and Windows (a Mac port is around but might need a small check up to work with the latest CVS code) and there is a lot of art resources on the wiki to give you an idea of what's missing.

OK, so now you can flame me for stealing art designers :-) although my intention is really to avoid leaving idle artists around when they might have fun working on another project, I don't want to limit the amount of work done on Wesnoth in any way.

Disto

Post by Disto » June 15th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Idle artists??
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool » June 15th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Moved to game development which is the forum devoted to supporting non-wesnoth games.

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Re: Widelands arts - help appreciated

Post by Ranger M » June 15th, 2006, 7:51 pm

yannoo wrote:I'm posting under my responsibility only (so flame me if you want), to say that considering the enormous amount of quality art work that has been done for Wesnoth in the recent months, you might have gathered a pretty impressive artists force, which might now be a bit idle because the graphics have reached a very nice level already.

So, *just in case* some of you are looking for the same kind of occupation, the Widelands game project is lacking a few good hands to make it more beautiful. Basically, it is a Settlers clone and it needs small 3D buildings designs, trees, textures, people, sounds, etc.
:shock:

Trust me on this, despite what it may seem like by the amount done, Wesnoth's art is far from finished, there are many things that still need doing before any of wesnoth's main artists (the people doing most of the recent art, myself not included because I'm mostly working on non mainline/non wesnoth stuff right now, and I was never that important art wise anyway) have time for other stuff.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin » June 15th, 2006, 8:03 pm

But, people do often get bored with a game and want to try their art skills elsewhere - especially if their stuff is barely not good enough for mainline.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm