The Game Development Forum

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

The Game Development Forum

Post by Dave »

One of the reasons I started writing Wesnoth was that I felt that the quality of Free games could get better. I had seen many Free software projects that had over-ambitious goals, and decided to start a simple game project, one that didn't try to be fancy in terms of engineering or graphics -- using a tried language, C++, and tried libraries, with simple 2D graphics. It even used a very tried-and-tested setting -- classic/high fantasy.

I think it would be great if other Free games developers could take away some lessons learned in the development of Wesnoth to start or continue their own game projects based on the same principles. Hence the presence of this forum -- here developers can exchange ideas, ask questions about game development, look for other developers to help them, or just post a link to what they've done and ask for comments.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I've always been tempted with a RPGish along the Gateway To Apshai mould, i.e. action, levels agains the clock and short gamelength (<1hr).

I started towards it once but in C rather than an OOP. Realised that some of my improvements actually detracted from the spirit of the game. Of course, lack of decent graphics was the biggest killer :-(

I have found that more and more I regret the loss of short games. It seems that as my time for games is decreasing the trend is towards games which need large blocks of time to get the most out of them.