New idea: Hardness

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
JW

Post by JW »

Upon some discussion with zookeeper on (m)IRC I arrived at a very simple, yet profound, way to change this idea to make it practical:

Hardness should be a single number applied to all types of damage.

It would essentially be Damage Reduction (DR). I imagine this would be excellent for the Werewolves, and it would also be good for units like HI and Woses. If DR were input as a negative value this could add damage to every hit, meaning the unit is exceptionally prone to many weak hits - like an Orcish Assassin perhaps.

This gives the ability to distinguish between mutli-hit weak attacks (such as arrows) and lower-hit strong attacks (such as lances).

Again, resistancies could be altered in many different combinations such as: DR=2, Pierce=150%. On this unit the first 2 damage of Pierce damage would be negated, but the remaining damage would be multiplied by 150%. Against varying opponents this would yield (DR=2, Pierce=150%):
Goblin Spearman: 3-3
Elvish Archer: 4-4
Spearman: 7-3
Horseman: 10-2
-You can see that as the power of the strikes grow they go through the DR more effectively.

Another example (DR=1, Pierce=120%):
Goblin Spearman: 4-3
Elvish Archer: 5-4
Spearman: 7-3
Horseman: 10-2
-very similar, but weaker units are not effected as much.

You can see that this can be tweaked until you're blue in the face to get just the right balance. It really would add an entirely new element to Wesnoth. This would remove the Impact/Crush, Pierce/Impale debates for good as well. You could simply factor for those differences using DR and resistancies.

Please give your feedback. I really think this is a breakthrough idea.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I'm not entirely sure I understand how this works, and what it bonus it provides. Although that is probably because I haven't seen this debate in a while.

Could you give a fuller description? (Sorry if you already feel that you have, but i just don't get it properly at the moment)
Wush

Post by Wush »

This could bring more flexibility into unit creation and be interesting in some cases, however I am not sure really sure, if I want to shift the balance of power in the way this points.
I mean take the example you are playing undead against undead, as you have neither fire nor holy damage in order to destroy ghosts you need to outnumber them(preferably with zombies which are cheap and can be used aginst other undead units thx to thier damage type) However if ghost would have a damage reduction using zombie against ghost would not be possible anymore, shifting the total favor for only recruiting ghosts.
Also the question is what to do with the goblins? They are already really weak going up against damage reduction would make some units almost invulnerable against them.
My fazit is: Positive or negative damage reduction can be quite neat, allowing to create a difference betwen high damage low attack and low damage many attack units,it also could shift the favor for quality instead of mass, however balancing this will be a real pain in the ass.
JW

Post by JW »

Wush wrote:My fazit is: Positive or negative damage reduction can be quite neat, allowing to create a difference betwen high damage low attack and low damage many attack units,it also could shift the favor for quality instead of mass, however balancing this will be a real pain in the ass.
Agreed.
Wush wrote:However if ghost would have a damage reduction using zombie against ghost would not be possible anymore, shifting the total favor for only recruiting ghosts.
Also the question is what to do with the goblins? They are already really weak going up against damage reduction would make some units almost invulnerable against them.
My idea is to keep DR about 1 or 2 as a general rule, and not all units need to have DR. Example: Skeles are fine with just their resistancies. I think Ghosts are too. DR should only be applied to units where there is a differentiation between how it handles weak v strong hits. I believe this will be most helpful being applied to cavalry units and *possibly* units with heavy armor.

Negative DR could *possibly* be used for weak units, though I don't see this as a great idea right now for mainline Default units. Also, certain units like Mudglobs could use this idea as well.

The main purpose of this idea is to relieve the discrepency between the ideas of Crush/Impact; Pierce/Impale with a secondary reason being unit creation flexibility for ambitious contributors.
Jym

Post by Jym »

Darth Fool wrote: By "fought" I presume you mean in a real honest to god fight to the death where limbs get severed and the loser isn't walking home, not some simulation like SCA or fencing which are decidedly unrealistic. I mean, come on now, how realistic is any battle where all the participants can go out and have a beer afterwards?
"Et maintenant buvons, car l'affaire était chaude."
http://www.chanson-de-geste.com/mariage_de_Roland.htm

Of course, I don't really think that Victor Hugo was an expert in sword fighting...
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.