Water hidden hability

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
anyeos

Water hidden hability

Post by anyeos »

I have a idea, some unit from water (same as fish or something that can go under water) can have a hability that permit him be hidden in that place (same as ambush for woses).

What do you thing about that?

Bye
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

it's good and would make sense, but they should be visible to other underwater units.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ranger M's suggestion is too complex.

The best way to do this is change the specialty "ambush" to "invisibility(forest)", and let you set abilities according to that syntax. So, this would be "invisibility(shallow water,deep water)".
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

...or "ambush" could be forest by default, and also accept parameters. Because "invisibility" is slightly misleading.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I proposed this (exactly the same idea) once (a long time ago, in version 0.8.3 i think). The thing was even made, but it was never added to the game, I called the ability submerge. However, in my idea, It only applied to deep water, as shallow water is too shallow not to notice a naga/mereman in it.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
mickyg

Post by mickyg »

i agree with ranger m i mean fishes can see when a shark aproches and sharks can see where the fishes are
Sly

Post by Sly »

I like the original idea, and "water ambush", like the ambush ability and the night stalker one, you can only see them when you run into them or when it's them who do it :twisted:
Last edited by Sly on December 18th, 2005, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sapient wrote:...or "ambush" could be forest by default, and also accept parameters. Because "invisibility" is slightly misleading.
I don't think it's any more misleading than ambush (which implies an attack without retaliation, to me).

The text invisible(forest) would of course have a tooltip explaining it better.

Having the specialty know whether it was a water unit or not that was viewing it would be way too complex. If we don't have all elves be able to see elvish avengers in forest (even though, logically, they would be able to), why should we let all water units see invisible(water) units?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

submerged is a good idea, the mermen would really benefit from it.

In that case, i think gryphons should get skystalk, they are invisible everywhere because they fly so high.

Trolls should be invisible in mountains too, just as dwarves should, because they are mountain dwellers.

sheesh...
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:roll:

I think the idea is that it would only be given to certain mermen (probably only 3rd level ones). Just like, even though all elves are good in forest, only the Rangers and Avengers get ambush.

Also, you only want to give it to races that could be considered as stealthy ones. So, none for trolls, or orcs, or drakes, or dwarves. ;)
The World of Orbivm
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

skystalk, lol... I guess if you live in Wesnoth very long you learn to keep one eye on the sky.

Giving parameters to ambush might mess up those cool insults in Royal Rumble though!

"There's no forests to hide in here"

"There isn't? Doh..." 8)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

maybe the merman netcaster and entangler should get this.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Ranger M wrote:maybe the merman netcaster and entangler should get this.
No, give it to nagas, they're sneakier! :twisted:
gryphonlord

Post by gryphonlord »

Maybe have it apply to Deep Water and Swamp? after all, swamps aren't very clear...
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

yeah the nagas would probably use it more, but we don't have many units, but maybe it would be a good idea for a unit, the naga sea stalker with backstab as well.