Dark Forest

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

There an odd thing, though. It seems the hills around the dark forest tiles are also becoming more grey.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

That's a good thing... it is basically the mist spreading...

I think....
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Tux2B wrote:There an odd thing, though. It seems the hills around the dark forest tiles are also becoming more grey.
The hills have been changed. Why Zebulon still has one of the old ones showing I don't know. Maybe he's using an old terrain-graphics.cfg.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

it is still getting better and i suppose the fog is getting bigger because the fog consumes all
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

frame wrote:
Tux2B wrote:There an odd thing, though. It seems the hills around the dark forest tiles are also becoming more grey.
Why Zebulon still has one of the old ones showing I don't know. Maybe he's using an old terrain-graphics.cfg.
I was.
freim

Post by freim »

Terrain in trunk is a fast moving target atm. We are replacing/updating a lot of stuff and much is work in progress. The new hills will be updated again soon, the current ones are not finished.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Will there also be new mountains? It was odd in version 0.7.6 to have an old mountain and new hills...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
freim

Post by freim »

Tux2B wrote:Will there also be new mountains? It was odd in version 0.7.6 to have an old mountain and new hills...
Yes, eventually. The new mountains need some WML magic first.

But this is the devel branch, you should expect it to be in development :)
Thunderblade

Post by Thunderblade »

Hi friends!

As I´m with very few spare time, I´ve not worked on these tiles in the last few days... But, as soon as I get enough free time, I shall add some "tendrils" spreading from the mist and the other required adjustments

Anyway, I still have a doubt: how do we make this mist "cover" part of a unit? I would like to see the bottom half of a unit "hidden" behind a thick wall of mist, as it is with water and swamps...

IS that possible? Do you think it would look good?
Wild Elves playtesting! Come and give your comments!
The Sidhe Project
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

The problem with this is Units overlay the terrain, Tree's do not cover them and it would be wierd if the mist did. Since units and trees are a different scale I don't think it's a good idea.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

WINR
hands

Post by hands »

Thunderblade wrote:Anyway, I still have a doubt: how do we make this mist "cover" part of a unit? I would like to see the bottom half of a unit "hidden" behind a thick wall of mist, as it is with water and swamps...

IS that possible? Do you think it would look good?
I think it would make at least some sense as long as it doesn't look like a complete hack. Maybe just have the feet get covered? It should be possible just because the other terrains that you mentioned accomplish something to the same effect.
Thunderblade

Post by Thunderblade »

Well, here's the latest version... I've tried to spread the mist to the tiles around the forest, but I don't know if it will look good... Can someone try them?
Attachments
new forest 3.png
new forest 3.png (178.07 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Wild Elves playtesting! Come and give your comments!
The Sidhe Project
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

that has to be a very detailed layered picture because it took 30 secs to load it on my screen. going layer by layer

Also, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why did i even bother at trying art
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

Here it is.

Edit: Jpg
Last edited by Zebulon on November 22nd, 2005, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.