Idea: Dwarven Ranged Unit

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Is this a good idea?

Yes
6%
No
94%

Total votes: 16

Seleukus

Idea: Dwarven Ranged Unit

Post by Seleukus »

Looking at other posts, I've seen that many people complain about the lack of variety of Dwarven ranged units. This complain is typically countered by the answer that Dwarves don't seem like the type of people who would use bows.
Since Dwarves seem like a more 'mechanical' type of faction, I propose that they simply use crossbows instead. These units would replace the Dwarven Thunderer line.

Units and stats:

Level 1 unit:
Dwarvish Crossbowmen:
Cost: 15?
Movement: 4
HP: 35
Weapons:
Crossbow (Pierce, 9-2)
Dagger (Blade, 4-2)

They would branch out into two paths: one using powerful arbalests, the other using rapidly-firing repeating crossbows (cho ku nus.)

Note: If you do not know what these are, I suggest you look at the wikipedia articles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbalest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/repeating_crossbow

Dwarven Arbalester: (Level 2)
Moves: 4
HP: 40
Weapons:
Arbalest (Pierce, 28-1)
Dagger (Blade, 5-3)

Dwarven Heavy Arbalester: (Level 3)
HP: 50
Weapons:
Heavy Arbalest: (Pierce, 40-1)
Sword (Blade, 9-3)

Dwarven Repeating Crossbowman: (Level 2)
HP: 37
Weapons:
Repeating Crossbow (Pierce, 2-12, poison.)
Dagger: (Blade, 6-3)

Dwarven Heavy Repeating Crossbowman: (Level 3)
HP: 45
Weapons:
Repeating Crossbow: (Pierce, 2-13, poison.)
Dagger: (Blade, 7-3.)

What do you think about this idea?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

How the heck would REPLACING the thunderers with crossbowmen increase variety? :shock:

I guess the idea is there are more branching possibilities for crossbowmen than thunderstick-users... I would disagree with that. There have been plans in the past to make a branch of the thunderer line, and I still want to do that, I just don't have graphics.

So, I can definitely understand increasing variety; I'm a strong supporter of it, in fact. But I fail to see how this change would do that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

He came up with two lines where right now there is just one, and each line uses a different weapon.

He didn't know of any past proposals. Why is it dwarves accumulate more half-baked proposals than anyone else? Holy cow think of the strife over:
1. getting rid of outlaws
2. the thunder/flame/stormguards
3. pistolier cowboy dwarves
4. Magic-using dwarves
5. scouts: ram rider, helicopter bomber, axe runners, and magic carpet riders!!!
6. Don't forget the cross-dressers (elf, mer, undead) and the Darawrf

Anyway, I personally think crossbows + dwarves doesn't mesh well. Wesnoth humans really are the crossbow experts. It's not bad logic, it's just me not used to it.

Your jump to crossbows indicates that the thunderstick is seen as something that can't have variety. There's plenty of room to play with the thunderstick, but the dwarves are just immovable, resisting all attempts to change the faction!
Besides just getting a stronger pierce attack, you can switch damage types, go to 2 attacks, or give the attack marksman. If you branch all those you have plenty of options.

For example:

Code: Select all

Thunderer > Thunderguard > Dragonguard (strong pierce)
                         > Flameguard  (strong flame)
                         > mixed guard (2 attacks: med-strong pierce and med-strong flame)
Thunderer > double shot > strong double shot (less increase than thunderguard line)
          > marksman > stronger marksman (less increase than thunderguard line)
I'm not proposing them, instead I'm just showing there's a lot of room to play with what we have now.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I don't think dwarves need more ranged attack. It would overpower them again.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
dtw

Post by dtw »

I'm glad scott covered several of "my" past ideas there - I still intend to create fire thrower and tar thrower units one day....wehn ever that may be...
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Turin wrote:I guess the idea is there are more branching possibilities for crossbowmen than thunderstick-users... I would disagree with that. There have been plans in the past to make a branch of the thunderer line, and I still want to do that, I just don't have graphics.

You lie, I had made a fully animated secondary branch for thunderers back in the days.
scott

Post by scott »

I included pretty much everybody's past ideas. I don't claim ownership.

As far as any of the lines goes you should try to show which one best fits a gameplay need. If you give them a L2 fire unit for example, it makes it a very powerful undead killer. I think doubleshot might be the best option since it gives players a more traditional ranged unit option. The problem with that is lowering damage, unless it keeps its original attack + doubleshot (which doesn't make much sense). I guess lowering the damage of the doubleshot won't violate RIPLIB since there is the thunderguard.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

True but now the anti gun flamers are gonna jump this like they jumped the last repeating thunderer...or the axe throwers will show up hmmm.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I just give it two thundersticks, problem solved.
dtw

Post by dtw »

scott wrote:I included pretty much everybody's past ideas. I don't claim ownership.
Sorrry, I didn't meant to imply you did, I was trying to imply that while I had espoused similar ideas they could not also be strictly dscribed as mine :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I just give it two thundersticks, problem solved.
Strangely enough, I agree with you.... but pistols are not thundersticks. They're pistols.

Actually, it's not even necessary to give him two thundersticks. As I proved with my book on antique guns before, early guns had barrels at both ends; you'd shoot, flip it around, and shoot again.

Personally, I think the thunderer unit should branch

Code: Select all

Thunderer -> Flameshooter -> Dragonguard (1 shot, flameshooter like current thunderguard; perhaps gets marksman at 3rd level)
          -> Thunderguard -> Stormguard (2 shots)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

How about the blue guy with the big shield with a thunderflash on it? He looked pretty neat.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Neoriceisgood wrote:How about the blue guy with the big shield with a thunderflash on it? He looked pretty neat.
Was he supposed to be ranged? I couldn't tell. :?
The World of Orbivm
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Crossbows wouldn't be that bad idea they would be probalby easier to produce and easier handle than thundersticks and they would work even if it rains. This said from the point of realism but it can be ignored.
Graphics for this would be easy pushing some pixels nothing more.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Who said that thudersticks dont work in rain or under the water...
You know dwarves creating all that awfull stuff... Sceptres who shot fireballs, sticks that launh small pellets of metal ...