FeatReq: Hovermouse to see how far your units move

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

FeatReq: Hovermouse to see how far your units move

Post by irrevenant »

Hovering the mouse pointer over an enemy unit to see how far he can move is a really handy feature.

Why not enable it for your own units?
dtw

Post by dtw »

Good point. I suppose the immediate counter arguement is that it is more informative to just click on them and move the cursor but that is quite a slow way. If simply want to get a good idea of where you are going to be able to move that turn with several units e.g. "Can I make it to that village and create a defensive line around it?" it would be really handy
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

A small addition to the idea:

Hovering the mouse pointer above any unit displays what this unit can do... for player's units it displays what they can do in this turn; for allied and enemy units it displays what can they do in the next turn.

A blue "fog" is displayed above the empty field, if the unit can move there.

A red "fog" is displayed above the field with units that can be attacked by this unit. (This would help more easily see how the zone of control works.) Of course only non-allied units can be attacked.
Attachments
Feature preview. The selected violet unit can move 3 fields on green terrain, cannot move on brown terrain, and does not have skirmish. It makes visible which units can be attacked, and which are protected by ZoC.
Feature preview. The selected violet unit can move 3 fields on green terrain, cannot move on brown terrain, and does not have skirmish. It makes visible which units can be attacked, and which are protected by ZoC.
hover.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

I like this. Perhaps a yellow fog over villages that can be occupied...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Viliam wrote:A small addition to the idea:

Hovering the mouse pointer above any unit displays what this unit can do... for player's units it displays what they can do in this turn; for allied and enemy units it displays what can they do in the next turn.

A blue "fog" is displayed above the empty field, if the unit can move there.

A red "fog" is displayed above the field with units that can be attacked by this unit. (This would help more easily see how the zone of control works.) Of course only non-allied units can be attacked.
While it would be nice to use some sort of colorizing instead of just grayscaling to indicate possible moves, there is only one action that can be done with each hex, so different colors would not be that useful.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
hunz

Post by hunz »

I liked the idea of coloring hexes and not grayscaling them..

I'll like to see a color setting like this:
Green for villages that aren't already taked.
Blue for possible moves and for your villages.
Red for villages and units that belongs to your enemies.
Yellow for villages and units that belongs to your allies.

And maybe a option to configure colors ;)

God bless.
Pythagoras

Post by Pythagoras »

There already exists issues with the current "highlighting" in terms of color conflicts with terrain types. The idea to add different coloring schemes for the "tactical" features of a hex may just make the aforementioned problem worst. I could see "green" having meaning then having a hard time seeing the "tactically green" hexes over forest.