Terrain specific skirmishing

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
rezaf

Terrain specific skirmishing

Post by rezaf »

Not, this is no big deal if not added, I just thought it might be a nice addition/alternative to have skirmish only affect certain terrain types. For example, forest skirmishing would allow a unit to ignore ZOC in forest only...

Like I said, I don't think it's an urgent thing to add to Wesnoth, but I'm curious what other people would think about it.

Discuss! :)
rezaf

"This pisses me off!"
Urinal, the Elvish Marshal
Disto

Post by Disto »

It would definetly makes some units more interesting possible not overpowering them too much.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

You do realize that THE most sensible application would be rangers getting skirmisher in forests ... (they already feel a little overpowered)
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

There's a bit of an intuitiveness issue here. If (eg.) an Elf Ranger has skirmish (forest only), what does that actually mean?

Can he skirmish:
(a) so long as the target is in the appropriate terrain?
(b) so long as all the hexes he passes through are the appropriate terrain?
(c) so long as he starts in the appropriate terrain?
(d) so long as all the hexes he passes through that are next to an enemy unit are the appropriate terrain?

IMO (d) probably makes the most sense, but it's probably also the hardest option to communicate.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

D. "This unit ignores all enemy zone of control that is in this terrain".
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I find the idea of making skirmish dependent on terrain interesting, if difficult to foresee in-game. It might also be interesting to consider ZOC dependent on terrain, for instance:
1. a unit will only extend a ZOC into adjacent hexes it can MOVE into (Heavy Infantrymen and Horsemen won't extend into mountains, for instance)
2. a unit will only extend a ZOC into adjacent hexes if they take 3 or less moves to move into
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

at least IMO its good idea
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Elvish Pillager wrote:D. "This unit ignores all enemy zone of control that is in this terrain".
Exactly. Skirmisher is supposed to be about the ZoC, not the enemies.
Rhuvaen wrote:1. a unit will only extend a ZOC into adjacent hexes it can MOVE into (Heavy Infantrymen and Horsemen won't extend into mountains, for instance)
I like this. Logical extension would be that those units cannot attack a unit in that terrain. This, however, would give foot to more guidelines of tactic: "Cavalry should not fight against a mountain, infantry should not fight against the sea...".

Which may not be something that we want.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think that this is an interesting idea. Of course, it goes under the broad category that the engine needs a little post 1.0 work to make abilities a little more flexible such that you can specify terrain modifiers for any ability. Skirmish might need a little more coding to do than ambush, since, as was pointed out, you would want it to work based upon the ZOC hex. Still, basically a good idea.
Elvish_Pillager

Darth Fool wrote:Skirmish might need a little more coding to do than ambush,
?!?

Ambush takes a ton of code and is probably still buggy. If we get terrain- or time- specific Skirmish, then we may be able to convince the populace to remove invisibility.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:Skirmish might need a little more coding to do than ambush,
?!?

Ambush takes a ton of code and is probably still buggy. If we get terrain- or time- specific Skirmish, then we may be able to convince the populace to remove invisibility.
I meant specifically to add in the terrain specific filtering. Also note the "might". I do not see getting terrain specific skirmish as a substitute for ambush.
dtw

Post by dtw »

would that mean shadows and nightguants skirmish on all terrain at night?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Tieom

Post by Tieom »

dibblethewrecker wrote:would that mean shadows and nightguants skirmish on all terrain at night?
With their Backstab attack, it would be a fair bit more useful than their current ability, IMO.

Might balance out the choice between the Wraith and the Shadow a bit, too. Someone want to explain how the Shadow doesn't violate RIPLIB when it loses the Ghost's ranged attack?
rezaf

Post by rezaf »

Tieom wrote:Someone want to explain how the Shadow doesn't violate RIPLIB when it loses the Ghost's ranged attack?
To share what I learned myself recently:
RIPLIB - Reducing In Power Levelling Is Bad: means that when a unit upgrades, at least one of its options should be strictly superior to the original unit.
rezaf

"This pisses me off!"
Urinal, the Elvish Marshal
Elvish_Pillager

Tieom wrote:Someone want to explain how the Shadow doesn't violate RIPLIB when it loses the Ghost's ranged attack?
It DOES violate RIPLIB. The Shadow loses its ranged attack, and the Wraith loses 20% of its resistances to Blade and Pierce and 10% to impact. This still annoys me every time a Ghost I control advances. I have an alternative proposal that fixes the issue, but it's sort of faded away, and certainly won't get in before 1.0.